New Hyatt Gold Passport Features Launching in January 2014

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by J Zidell VP Hyatt, Nov 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear MilePoint Members,

In my role, I have the wonderful opportunity to communicate with our most frequent guests almost daily. During these conversations, I always learn a little bit more about how we can make your travel experiences better and truly bring to life the care and authentic hospitality that sets Hyatt apart. In the spirit of ongoing innovation, I’m delighted to announce new Hyatt Gold Passport features I know you will enjoy.

Points + Cash

One of the most requested Hyatt Gold Passport features is the ability to combine points and cash for a Free Night Award. Beginning January 7th, 2014, we will launch a new Points + Cash Award Chart, which will discount the required points by 50% and include a co-pay ranging from $50 to $300 USD. Points + Cash awards will count toward tier status and the cash portion of the award will earn Hyatt Gold Passport points. At launch, Points + Cash awards will only be bookable via the Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Centers. You can view the new Award Chart for Point + Cash through the link at the bottom of this post.

Exclusive 20% Discount for Platinum and Diamond Members
    We know that everyone loves a deal, and Hyatt Gold Passport elite members are no exception. That’s why we are launching the new My Elite Rate beginning January 7th, 2014. Platinum and Diamond members will enjoy 20% off the Hyatt Daily Rate on any standard room (subject to availability). My Elite Rate will be bookable on Hyatt.com (must be logged in) or through your nearest Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Center.

In addition to Points + Cash and My Elite Rate, we will also increase the number of months (from 12 months to 24 months) that an account may have no activity before being closed. Starting January 7, 2014, an account that accrues no activity for 24 consecutive months will be closed and all Hyatt Gold Passport points in that account will be forfeited. The earliest an account will be closed under the new policy is January 7, 2016. There are a number of easy ways to keep your membership active:

• Earn or redeem Hyatt Gold Passport points including for stays at Hyatt hotels and resorts, dining and spa treatments and stays at participating M life properties
    • Earn credits with a Travel Partner or receive M life Tier Credits for stays at a Hyatt property
    • Purchase or combine points, transfer Free Night Awards or convert points to miles
    • Maintain a Hyatt Credit Card account
    For more details please visit:

goldpassport.com/programupdates

I hope that you have the opportunity to take advantage of both Points + Cash and My Elite Rate when they launch next year. In the meantime, if there are additional Hyatt Gold Passport enhancements that you would like to see, please let me know through this forum or feel free to reach out directly at Jeff.Zidell@Hyatt.com anytime.

I wish you safe travels,

Jeff Zidell
    Senior Vice President, Hyatt Gold Passport

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jeff - Great updates, thanks! The 24-month holding period is nice (not that activity is hard to generate), and the Points+Cash option seems to be a new industry norm. Well done, sir, well done.

jbcarioca, Tenmoc and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that these updates are all good ideas. Whether Cash & Points is a good deal in the present form depends on the hotel category. In Cat's 1 and 7, we'd effectively be buying points at 2 cents each (meh).
    In Cat's 2-6, the effective point cost is in the 1.2-1.4 cent range, which might make sense in same cases.

jbcarioca, karung99, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  4. theSuperStar

theSuperStar Silver Member

Status Points:
    These new features are fantastic, thank you!

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, Marriott claims to have it. But there it just means you can combine a paid night and an award night in the same reservation instead of having to make separate bookings ;)

Cash and points looks to be a great value for category 2-6. It's fairly expensive (buying back your points at 2 cents apiece) for category 1 and 7. Still, probably worth it since cash and points count towards elite qualification and regular award nights do not. That last bit is huge.

24 month expiration, while completely reasonable, is a downgrade since in practice the 12 month expiration policy hasn't been enforced. Nonetheless, members will value the certainty of knowing when the points expire and I bet most members didn't realize they weren't really expiring before. Nothing wrong with 2 years (and a commitment that the two years starts at the beginning of next year).

We'll see what sort of inventory is available for the elite rates.... it's lower than AAA and also cancellable, so that's good, if it's frequently available!

Thanks for the updates, Jeff!

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the creation of a largely unaffordable, high-end, select category of GP hotels, I knew that the Cash+points option was not too far behind -- it is the 'backdoor" and, in fact, only way to afford to redeem for these high-end hotels. The play is (a) put it out of reach by making it too expensive to redeem for, and (b) introduce C+P as the only way to afford these properties. Redemption with points only earns the company no money for these luxurious properties, so C+P is introduced to force the members to spend at least some real money when redeeming for these popular luxury hotels -- straight out of the HHonors playbook. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. That aspect of this implementation of C+P is indeed huge.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's fair to say that Hyatt just locked me in for another year at the Diamond level. I see some cash and points options that will work really well for me, to the point that I'll never do a redemption again for full points at some properties in the lower tiers and prefer to give up the money with points. Allowing those to count as paid stays is a bonus and something I would never even thought would be in play. :)

Most of my domestic stays are on 3A rates with the 10% discount, so an additional discount for Platinums/Diamonds does show Hyatt is thinking outside the box. Looking forward to 2014!

jbcarioca, brucewil, karung99 and 3 others like this.
  9. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    C+P is a great enhancement for sure, especially since those nights count for stay credit. :cool:

One question: Are these rates also upgradable (suite certs or points)?

jbcarioca, karung99, Pizzaman and 2 others like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wouldn't it be great if they were? That thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I wonder how seriously Hyatt considered allowing award stays to count for tier status. As someone who has a lot of business stays I'm happy it's a bit harder to hit Diamond. But, I know it's on a lot of people's minds around here.

11. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Greetings MilePoint members,

We are looking forward for our members having different ways to redeem awards. Diamond suite upgrades will be available for the MyElite rate; however, it would not be available for the Points + Cash rate as it is considered an award stay. The MyElite rate & Points + Cash will be valid for stay/night credit at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts excluding all inclusive properties, Hyatt Residence Club, and Mlife properties. The MyElite rate and the Points + Cash option will count towards the Diamond trial offers. Cancellation policies will still apply, and as long as you cancel outside of the policy, all points will be returned. If you cancel inside the policy, the points will be returned but you would be charged per the cancellation policy of the hotel.

Sincerely,

Gold Passport Concierge Team

jbcarioca, phlguy80, MX and 6 others like this.
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming because you have to be logged in to get the Diamond 20% off rate, it is not commissionable to my TA?

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great update, thanks Jeff and GP.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and Tenmoc like this.
  14. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Jeff for the update... finally some positive changes... if I understand correctly, we can use points+cash options from 7th of January 2014 onwards?

15. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, to clarify, the MyElite rate does not earn stay/night credit at the above excluded properties?

jbcarioca, Tenmoc and ballardFlyer like this.
  16. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a good question!

18. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great question, indeed. MyElite rates will be considered eligible for Gold Passport Points, stay credit, night credit, partner airline miles, M Life tier credits, etc. They also allow the four annual Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards to be applied to them (provided both the rate and the suite in question are available, of course).

In practice, this will function much like travel clubs, motor clubs, and basic corporate discounts. While not guaranteed to be available, 20% off of the Hyatt Daily Rate will often times be the deal to beat. Just be sure to ask us to check it when booking stays in 2014, as it does need to be something addressed at the time of booking.

Hope this helps clear things up!

Safe travels,

Gold Passport Concierge Team

19. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will we soon be able to book C & P and MyElite rates online?

jbcarioca, IDGflygirl and Tenmoc like this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And now @gleff is reporting that this is incorrect. Clarification, please??

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MyElite rates will be available online when the benefit goes into effect.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this will likely go back and forth like this until it opens up and someone can actually do it or is denied doing it.

Seems the left hand isn't talking to the right.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    At some Hyatt properties (esp. in AsiaPac) if you exceed the room capacity (many allow capacity for three only), if you book an award, you can also book an adjoining paid room for a reduced “Family Plan” rate. You will earn points on the Family Plan room, but it will not count as a stay/night credit for elite re-qualification.

With the pending C&P option, will the Family Plan additional rooms/rates still be an available option, or will that only be available for full redemption (i.e., no C&P) award rooms?

jbcarioca and Switch2 like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the 20% off for Diamonds on existing bookings or only new?

ie, can i book say AAA now and change them to the lower rate on Jan 7? Or do I have to wait until the 7th and book everything then?

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hello Milepoint Members!

Thank you for all your great questions on the new Gold Passport changes happening on January 7th. For clarification Points to Cash option starts on January 7th and it will not be a bookable rate on Hyatt.com. You will have to contact Gold Passport Customer Service to check availabilty on this rate plan. The "My Elite Rate" is a bookable rate on Hyatt.com, also starting on January 7th and you must be logged into your Gold Passport account to view this rate. A great question from jetsetr, you will be able to book the Points and Cash rate with Family Plan rooms, all rate plans are based upon availabilty. Last but not least, Residence Clubs, All-Incusive properties such as Hyatt Zilara and Ziva, and Mlife properties are not expecting the "My Elite Rate".

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate