"New" Hyatt Diamonds - from SMD3 - Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'SMD3 (Star MegaDO #3)' started by peteropny, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Apologies if this isn't appropriate but since I'm sure that many of "you" have questions about Hyatt Diamond status, I thought that I'd start this thread to consolidate Q&A on the Hyatt Diamond (and leave the other threads for their on topic posts).

There are at least 4-5 of us who are long term Hyatt Diamonds who can help answer your questions.

So fire away!!!

There is also a Wiki on FAQs on the Hyatt program - http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/hyatt-and-gold-passport-faqs/

MSPeconomist and canucklehead like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can the suite upgrade expiration dates be extended? A while back, when they were paper, my travel agent told me that this was SOP for the asking.

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they are not valid on stays past their expiry and have not been extended. This always poses problems in the early months of the new benefit year/new calendar year before we get our new batch deposited.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this means specifically that the stay must be completed (check out date) before or no later than (which?) the expiration date, not than one can use the cert to confirm before its expiration (as with DL SWUs)? I assume that one needs the cert (number code) to confirm the upgrade, which limits how early you can request the upgrade for some stays.

This is a very helpful thread already. Thanks guys.:)

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Diamond agent will draw a credit from your account when you make the upgrade booking and it is confirmed. You need to have a valid credit for the period of the stay. I suspect you would be allowed a day or two overlap (upgrades can be used for up to four consecutive nights at a given property) into the new benefit year using a current year credit. New upgrades appear the first day of the new benefit year (i.e. March 1st), and upgrade requests can then be made through the next 350 days (or however into the future the Hyatt res site goes).

6. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually they are valid on stays booked prior to their expiry (however, if you change / cancel those reservations, they are "lost"). For example, I have a stay booked at the Hyatt at the Bellevue (Philadelphia) in May 2012 (booked in May 2011 - confirmed suite upgrade applied using one of my 2011 Suite Upgrades).

Also, these Diamond Suite Upgrade "certs" are good for stays up to 7 nights - the 4 nights is the upgrade using points.

This was changed about a year ago since people were complaining that under the old rules where they are not applicable to stays past the expiry, it leaves a gap and especially problematic in March / April since the previous set expires 2/28 and the new set doesn't get posted into the account until mid-March.

7. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I unfortunately will be missing the Hyatt focus groups on Saturday afternoon, since I have an afternoon flight home. My suggestion is that those who attend the focus groups bring up the inflexibility of how the suite upgrades are allowed to be applied.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checking my new Diamond status this morning, I called the general GP number given somewhere in this forum and asked for the Diamond desk. Person said she could help, even with suite upgrades. Make reservation and then she passes me to someone else for the suite upgrade and we begin again. GRRRRRRRRRR. Seems to get done by the second person and we do a second reservation and suite upgrade. Wait for email confirmations. Confirmations seem to be wrong. Call Diamond line this time and talk with an agent who doesn't say so but seems to suspect that something is wrong with one of the upgrade confirmations. She passes the call to someone who seems to be a supervisor who isn't convinced that it's correct either, calls hotel, on hold, etc. Time consumed: over an hour total for two simple domestic reservations.

Is it always this complicated?

Should I be looking for an agent to work with all the time or just call in and hope I get a good agent on the first try?

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have questions about suite upgrades:

1. Can I book cheapest available room or like AAA rate and still use Suite upgrade Certs?
    2. Can I book a pre-paid rate or via 3rd party website and still use Suite upgrade Certs?
    3. Can I use 2 certs for 2 rooms at the same property?
    4. Can I book a room for someone else and upgrade them using this cert?

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two more questions for the Hyatt gurus:
    1) Is it one upgrade cert per night, or one upgrade per cert (and what is the maximum # of days)?
    2) Can I sponsor someone (who is not reserving under my name) using my upgrade certs?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answers I know so far:

1) You can at least use any PAID rate through hyatt.com, including AAA and government. You can even use different rates on different days of your reservation, even for different underlying room types that are available but this must be done by phone. You can also use the suite upgrades for group and convention rates. You can't use suite upgrades on free room nights.

1) It's one cert for an entire stay of up to and including seven nights.

canucklehead likes this.
  12. brad

brad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many answers to questions about Gold Passport and Diamond status can be found by referring to the HGP Terms and Conditions, specifically, the section on Platinum and Diamond membership. I would encourage those who have questions to review the full terms. You may even be surprised (in a good way!) by what you find.

Here's some selected text regarding the suite upgrades that should answer the questions above:

In short:
    • You can book the cheapest available rate (AAA, government, advance purchase, your company's corp rate) and apply a suite upgrade
    • You cannot apply a suite upgrade to 3rd party rates
    • Not sure about 2 rooms - I would guess this is at the discretion of the property
    • Upgrade certs are not transferrable, so you cannot book an upgrade for someone else
    • The upgrade certs are valid for 1 stay up to 7 nights

DBoy and TAHKUCT like this.
  13. DBoy

DBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If my travel partner is using a free night (from the credit card sign up bonus) and I'm staying with her, can I use my upgrade for her free night or nights?

So it seems that an upgrade is best used on 7 night stays. Using it for a one night stay would be the least attractive option, right?

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you can only upgrade a PAID night.

It depends on the hotel and availability. You might prefer two nights in a Park Hyatt suite to seven nights in a Hyatt Regency suite. I wouldn't stay extra nights just to get "full" use of an upgrade.

DBoy likes this.
  15. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Call the Diamond line and chances might be better that they'll do it correctly - alternatively you can always "start a conversation" with the Gold Passport Concierge here on milepoint - I'm sure they can help you.

Otherwise, the information given to the questions today are correct. I don't believe you can upgrade more than 1 room at a property since the certs are not transferrable.

16. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    i;m in Hyatt now and they wont recognize my Diamond status and give me the benefits :(

UPDATE: Wow! The diamond line really resolved it fast and swift! Very impressed!

17. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt computers attach your status at the time the reservation is made to the record. Upgrades in status need to be manually handled.

18. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade was oversold.....But what happened was the updated status to Diamond was not reflected in my reservation.....The reservation as i understand from discussion with the hotel manager was still showing my Gold status

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The diamond line told me that I don't need to do anything about my upgraded status on existing reservations in that the hotel will see the diamond status when I check in. This doesn't sound right if the property pre-assigns rooms. Does Hyatt? Should I try to call again?

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

20. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Room pre-assignment are definitely done by the property and not corporate. This issue has been one that has had debate on TOBB. For most "domestic" Full Service Hyatts, its really not that big a deal - since access to RC/GC, breakfast certs, internet can be applied to any room - rooms on teh RC/GC floors are really no different from "regular" ones. However, if you are staying at some properties (eg the resorts like GH Kauai), it can be important since a Gold probably won't get an upgrade from a Garden / Mountain view room to a Ocean Front one like a Diamond would.

21. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you get the Diamond number? I looked on the web and couldn't find it.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's an unpublished number. I found it on the back of my old expired Diamond card.

If you call the general number which was given somewhere in this subforum, when they verify your Diamond-ness, they should be willing to tell you the number.

23. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you go into the awards section of your profile, the number listed for you to use your suite upgrades is the diamond line (at least it says it is when you dial it).

24. not home

not home Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not tried to "upgrade" at Hyatt for SMD3 on the basis that there may be too many of us, but I am certainly expecting free internet etc, so I hope that my and in fact all of our collective status is correctly shown on the reservations at each property (since they were made pre diamond status).

25. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Take a printout of your account showing your status - the properties' computers will probably not show your Diamond status since i believe that Hyatt computers attach status at time of reservation.