New Hyatt Diamond - Suite question

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ClarkyBoy, Jan 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    New to being a Hyatt diamond (Status Match on trial i should easily squash).

Do you get upgraded based on availablity even without forcing/insuring it with the 4 upgrades a year i get as certificates on the website?
    I assume so but wanted to check.

Thanks a lot!

ClarkyBoy

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only gotten suites at a Hyatt with the certs, or when there has been a problem and they're making up for it.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    hm, that's a shame.
    if i only have 4 a year i'd rather save it for a stay with the family...anyone else?
    Thanks Jaimito.

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never got one. Perhaps if I dressed like I belong in one I might have a better chance at check-in... :D

wrxmom, rookie10 and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I have been upgraded about 90% of the time even without the suite upgrades. I do always call the hotel manager in advance and ask for the upgrade if possible.

6. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience has been the same as Jaimito & HaveMiles. On occasions where I've either run out of upgrade certs or needed something larger than the entry-level suite, I've reached out to the director of rooms for a property and negotiated an upsell--sometimes at rates less than NOR1.

I'm an about-to-be-former SPG Plat, and my erratic experience with upgrades in that program has led me to the conclusion that, regardless of the program and its terms, most domestic properties will resort to any conceivable subterfuge to avoid assignment of suite upgrades at check in. The same holds true for bookings through Amex FHR that tout upgrades. "Upgrade if available at check in," indeed...

Kalboz and guberif like this.
  7. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Kalboz likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten a number of suite upgrades as a Diamond without using certs and some above and beyond upgrades to special suites with certs as well as upgrades into only junior suites. The same has been my experience with SPG as Plat and now Plat50.

With FHR, the program's published benefit is only a one category upgrade, with some hotels stating a maximum category that can be upgrades too. You are not necessarily entitled to an available suite.