New Hyatt chart side-by-side with Starwood

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by MileCards, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    dstober likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The top starwood properties are still multiples of the top Hyatt ones in redemption cost...

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying that 30,000 Starwood points should be valued much higher than 30,000 Hyatt points?

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, although they do earn more slowly and go further in some uses this is not my point.

The top starwood properties cost much more than 30000 points.

MX likes this.
  5. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are about a dozen or so luxury beach resort properties that they charge 40-140,000 points a night for.

Hyatt doesn't really have any comparable ones aside from Maldives, Abu Dhabi, and Goa (which are great redemptions if you make the trek). Cat 7 Hyatt vs Cat 7 SPG is typically urban luxury.

MX likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, urban luxury and ski covers all of hyatt's cat 7s.

7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holy Excrement! I just got a brand-new Chase Hyatt Visa last Friday!
    I was confident that Hyatt would leave its program alone for a few more years. Gee, I remember when GP had only 4 categories so top-of-the-line was 15K!

dstober and MX like this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Okeeeeeeiii... And from an earning perspective, you earn 2 SPG points vs 5 GP points + elite bonus. SPGs most desirable properties (a handful) costs an insane amount of points to redeem and will never be worth it, while Hyatt has a handful very desirable properties at the new category 7 for 30k points a night.

At the end of the day, the two programs are totally different from an earning perspective and while we all hate devaluation, I still find Hyatt GP to be much more reasonable than Starwoods pricing of luxury properties

mattsteg likes this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a reasonable point that hyatt's cat7 properties are comparable to starwoodhotels cat7 "standard" non suite-only properties, so pricing is similar at the top or comparable properties numerically, but as you say starwood earn is quite a bit slower. CC earn for hyatt is better too for those who don't actually stay in hotels (for better or worse).

tommy777 likes this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

If you look isolated on credit card spend besides Hyatt stays (3), restaurants, car rental and plane tickets (2), the Hyatt credit card only gives 1 point per dollar spent. But SPG also flat out gives 1 point per dollar spent on everything, except SPG stays (2).

As a top tier with SPG, you can get a maximum of 5 points per dollar spent at properties, while Hyatt gives 9.5. In addition, Hyatt gives full breakfast AND a 1000 point welcome bonus for Diamonds, while SPG Plat earns only continental breakfast OR 500 points.

At the end of the day, earnings at properties is double with Hyatt, so I wouldn't say there's any benchmark to SPG even if Cat 7 is 30K for both (35k for high season with SPG)

mattsteg likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not forget the various UR cards also - travel 2x of course, but also office supplies 5x and lots of points in circulation from signup bonuses.
    To nitpick at 75 nights that 5 can bump up to 6, but obviously still earning Hyatt points much faster.
    There's no doubt on this - one "point" is certainly not close to equal in cost to obtain between the programs.

tommy777 likes this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    no arguments from me, I'm in Singapore and we don't have UR or SPG cards :(