New Hyatt Card Features

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, Sep 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear Milepoint Members,

We are excited to announce that on October 1st, we will launch two new features to the Hyatt Credit Card that will make everyday purchases and Hyatt stays even more rewarding for our cardmembers.

Cardmembers will earn 2 points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets when purchased directly from the airline, and at car rental agencies. This is in addition to the current earning structure of 3 Hyatt Gold Passport points for every $1 spent at Hyatt properties worldwide and 1 Hyatt Gold Passport point for every $1 spent elsewhere.

Additionally, cardmembers will be able to earn and maintain Diamond status more easily by using the Hyatt Credit Card for all of their purchases as follows:

- Spend $20,000 annually and receive 2 stay / 5 night credits toward Diamond status
    - Spend $40,000 annually and receive an additional 3 stay / 5 night credits (for a total of 5 stay and 10 night credits) toward Diamond status

These features were carefully developed based on Hyatt Gold Passport member feedback and research we conducted with our partner Chase. For more information, please visit http://www.hyatthotels.hyatt.com/newcreditcardfeatures.

We look forward to launching these features to help you earn more points and get closer to Diamond membership.

Safe travels,

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice!
    though 2pt for $1 at restaurants/airline sounds awfully similiar to the CSP card.

Kalboz and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Except that UR are more flexible.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the Hyatt at least has a chip/sig feature I believe...

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making it closer to CSP is the best you can hope for. At least there is now a question of which card to use. Before it was an easy decision.

6. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right on. The benefits are not earth shattering, but they are nice additions nonetheless, and as long as nothing else is reduced or fees are raised, I am pleased with it. Although I will admit that 2 stays /5 night for 20k and 3/5 more for 40k is a bit weak considering other cards either give benefits like that just for having the card, or give top status for spending 40k.

I would really have liked something like what was offered PLUS at 20k and at 40k get another free night at each level, or something like that.

7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the trend toward the CSP category bonuses, but with the 7% bonus and flexibility of the CSP, it'll still be that card over this card for everything but Hyatt stays. $40K only gets one 20% toward Diamond status? (Is that math correct?) Hilton Diamond is automatic after $40K.

Note: I don't currently have a Hyatt card, but we have Platinum status another way and have stayed at Hyatts recently.

IDGflygirl and Kalboz like this.
  8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton also has the IMO very intelligent $$$ qualifier as well. If you spend $10k a year at Hiltons, you get Diamond also...which Hyatt has resisted.

IDGflygirl and Kalboz like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is there a question now? 2 UR points + 7% bonus > 2 Hyatt Points.

kenbo and Quasiconvexity like this.
  10. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was about 5/10 short of re-qualifying for Diamond. Loads of spend to share around though. Just perfect for me!

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Todd, for letting us know in advance. The extra points is nice, but I have to agree that other cards give free stays/nights towards next year's qualification without any spend.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But they don't make any money if you don't put any spend on it!

viguera and Global Explat like this.
  13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I don't understand your point. That's true for any card, including the SPG one that provides qualification stays/nights without any spend on it.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And soon we'll have Diamond light similar to SPG. I don't like it :(. Not here. Not now. Keep GP pure. And keep the freebie top tier status at the other chains [or at least the help towards it]. Hyatt Platinum is for members with less than 25/50. :oops::oops::oops:

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True, but people actually have other incentives to use them, such as points that are easily convertible into other programs. The main point is: Hyatt and Chase aren't interested in you just having the card, they want you to use it. So they offer some benefits that are tied to spend. It may not be competitive with some other cards (I think the Sapphire Preferred card is ultimately the better card for people spending money), but it's a fact of life that not all cards are equally attractive and beneficial for all people.

16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't know. I think Hyatt is continuing to be protective here. You'd have to spend $40K to get 20% of the way to Diamond. That's a pretty high hurdle. I don't suspect they'll be sweetening this anytime soon. I'm okay with Diamond staying pretty hard to get.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed!

btw - great hat

18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be a convenience thing, mostly. Some people would prefer to have one card and might prefer the Hyatt card for the 3X points on Hyatt stays. The annual fee is lower and the free night each year is nice.

I still prefer the CSP overall, but I'm saying the difference between their earning potential has been narrowed significantly.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All true, but a near missing is still a miss. ;) I think this is more of an indication of the strength of the CSP than the weakness of the Hyatt card now.

servo46250 likes this.
  20. dw_t

dw_t Member

Status Points:
    It may also be worthwhile for someone who already has the Hyatt card (which, after taking into account the yearly free night, could be considered to have a net annual fee of $0), knows they would probably transfer UR points to Hyatt anyway, and would prefer not to have to pay the CSP's $95 annual fee.

I know the CSP is a very popular and well liked card, and I agree that the number of transfer partners Chase now has makes UR points very flexible, but for people who only charge $20-$30k a year, and who already have existing co-branded cards, the added value from the CSP isn't always going to make up for the annual fee, depending on everyone's individual and unique charging patterns, and how they value different airline and hotel points.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1! I agree that it's a little disappointing that the the spending threshold is so high to be given any free stays/nts towards requal with the card. I am already considering not requalifying for Diamond after this year, and just focusing on SPG, given the 2/5 credit for both personal & biz cards, & getting status credit for both award stays and cash+pts stays. I really enjoy my diamond perks, but it's quite costly for me (all personal travel) to requalify without any (non-threshold dependent spending) 'help' from the cc.

22. CaptMorgan

CaptMorgan Active Member

Status Points:
    Do the Hyatt cc upgrades count towards Diamond status in 2012?

23. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they do.

This year I plan to requalify already through 25 stays. In the future, I still don't think spending $20K to earn an extra 2 stay credits is worthwhile. I'd rather direct that $20K elsewhere and book two cheap mattress runs, even if it were only someplace like a staycation downtown during the holiday shopping season.

IDGflygirl, TAHKUCT and edekba like this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Makes perfect sense.

edekba likes this.
  25. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any additional benefits sound good to me! :) I only wish they didn't limit the 1 free night a year to certain categories...would be nice to enjoy the night anywhere...

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.