New Hilton HHonors Credit Card. NO annual fee. 50k pts within $750 spend in first 3 months.

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by rylemdr, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Putra

Putra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad its not an option at my country :(

uggboy likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah - does not seem available in Canada - too bad - a very good deal I think.

uggboy and Putra like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is not available here either! What is a great offer when not open or available in many countries???:(:eek:

Putra likes this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks M&S. I have been looking for a card to replace my AA card since there is now no way for me to get to Lifetime Gold without flying close to 500000 miles. So I'll take Hilton Points instead. And I have a cruise planned that has not been paid for so the $750 minimum spend will be quick. Also currently have Phone, TV, and internet on autopay. That will make for an additional 600 points per month. Seems like a great deal.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please let me know if I am misreading something, but. . .

Before one gets toooo excited about this offer, please realize that 50,000 Hilton points is not all that huge a number.

It is enough, as I read the chart, for two nights at a Category-3 hotel, such as the Hilton Garden Inn Wichita or the Wichita Airport Hilton. Now both of those -- and particularly the Garden Inn Wichita -- are nice places, but even their managers would probably stop short of calling them the greatest hotels ever. So enough points to get two free nights? Well, is 50,000 points really all that big of a deal?

Or, if you convert 50,000 points to airline miles, with many major carriers that would get you 7,500 miles -- a little more than half-way to a one-way domestic coach ticket on AA, for example.

The other thing I noticed is that unlike the no-fee HHonors American Express card I have had for ten years now, there is no mention in this current offer for HHonors Gold status after a $20,000 annual spend. With my card, I think I only got 10,000 points for opening it, but I get HHonors Gold every year because I hit the spending goal, rather than HHonors Silver which takers of this new offer get. Just something to think about. . . .

joesmoe and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a reall interesting point. Have the same card you have, and I just looked at the benefits for the basic HHonors Amex card on their website and don't see any mention of the $20k=Gold benefit anymore.

kansaskeith likes this.
  8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, HaveMiles, apparently they are playing various games to see what incentives go over best. I agree, some of their websites do NOT show Gold/$20K on the no-fee card, but on the other hand one active site still DOES show it. http://www304.americanexpress.com/g...eep=28000&psCCSG=CCSG_Google_PA_Hilton Honors

Similarly, their $75-fee card, called "Surpass:" when it came out used to promise Diamond Status for $40,000 annual spend. I kept debating, and before I could make up my mind, suddenly that Diamond reference was deleted from the list of benefits. So I thought, well, missed that, forget it. But suddenly in targeted e-mails in the last month or two the $40k Diamond "Surpass" offer is back! If it were MasterCard or Visa I would spend the $75 for a card in a heartbeat and could easily meet the annual spend. But some places do not accept Amex, so it would be a nailbiter for me. Once again, I'm debating, and while I do, they may take away the offer again!

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    On that link I just posted about the promise of $20K=Gold on the no-fee card, might have to click "Rewards" anout half-way down that page, under "Explore all the Hilton HHonors Card can do for you."

10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize that 50K Hhonors points really is not that much. However, with only limited traveling and usage, I am hoping to be able to use that 50K+ points that this sign-up provides with my already earned points and eventually be able to use the points on a VIP award sometime in the next 18 months. So, it will benefit me hopefully in the relatively near future.

2soonold and kansaskeith like this.
  11. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for this card using the links above. Instant approval and when the card arrived, there was supporting documentation confirming the 20K=Gold on the no-fee card.

2soonold, TAHKUCT and kansaskeith like this.
  12. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one stays frequently at Hilton properties, the points from paid hotel stays with the Hilton AMEX will quickly add up, so I belive it is a worthwhile card to acquire.

13. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are always terrible redemption values... My parents insist that they have enough points that they should never have to pay for a hotel room, so they regularly use 25k - 50k points on hotels that cost $100 or $150 per night. I have offered to pay for the hotel nights if I can use the points they would have spent for myself, and they will not do it. They just have a mental block that they never stay in hotels that cost more than $150 per night, so they don't see the value of the points. They don't want to take advantage of me. :rolleyes: I'm still working on it...

I think the real standard you should look at is what is the best redemption value you, personally, are likely to get for 50k points. For my parents, that means a night or two at an Embassy Suites in Houston or Dallas. For me, that means a night in a 4- or 5-star hotel in Asia or Europe.

gomike and 2soonold like this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our credit card options suck in Canada. :(

ACMM and TAHKUCT like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. And do not get me started on cell phones :D

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

16. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    The points posted quickly from this - about 3 days after I hit $750 in spend. Didn't even need to pay the card like you do for the Amex Reward Points.

Mapsmith likes this.