New Here Too

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by George K, Mar 22, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. George K

George K New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all. New user here. Now that I'm semi-retired and have time flexibility, I'm looking to do some traveling with my wife on Amtrak. Took a trip to New Orleans last week (on points) and back (on points), and we're going back in December.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome!

Hopefully you'll find some good Amtrak expertise around here.

I assume you're already familiar with Amtrak's "special" routes? There are some tremendous values to be found there, though you'll need to get to the right places to use them.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi @George K, welcome to MP and enjoy your stay here. I can't help you on Amtrak's questions but like @traveltoomuch mentioned, there are quite a few experts here in MP. :)

4. George K

George K New Member

Status Points:
    "Special routes"? Do tell. I know that there are some, er, creative routes one can take (for example, Chicago to Seattle via Los Angeles) as a two-zone redemption. Is that what you're talking about?

5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. There are some shorter routes that are priced at only 1,500 points (coach) or 2,000 points (business). Compare that to 4,000 points for a redemption in the northeast corridor. The list includes some nice options, including the Cascades (Eugene - Vancouver BC) and the Pacific Surfliner (SoCal).

http://travelcodex.com/2014/05/great-ultimate-rewards-value-amtrak-special-routes/

6. barismanco

barismanco New Member

Status Points:
    First of all I would like to say thanks to God to come on this forum and admin to join me to this and I am very glad to be a part of it.
    Because its very simple , easy to navigate and very informative posts from other members.

Thank you for all

7. loyi404

loyi404 New Member

Status Points:
    hi mate, nice to meet ya , im newbie here , im on timeshare attorney business feel free to ask something :D

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    welcome. I'm looking at booking an Amtrak award in the future from Chicago to the West Coast. I'm leaning toward the SW Chief option but not sure if the Northern Route might be better.