New Gold Business Amex offer - 75,000 points

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by katstarr, Jun 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    as I wrote about here ------> http://www.willrunformiles.com/2012/06/recap-of-some-good-current-deals.html ---- Million Mile Secrets is reporting a new Business Gold Amex offer - with 75,000 points, first year fee waived, 10k min. spend.

my question is: what are the differences between the Premier Gold Amex and the Business Gold Amex other than the fact that one is personal and the other business?

also, if I take advantage of the business card offer - what should be my strategy on canceling the personal card (preferably before the annual fee is due)?

2. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    it seems that the main "benefit" of the personal gold amex that is not on the business gold is the 2x for groceries. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure you noticed the $10K spend requirement. I would also be weary of Amex offers, since they stiffed so many on their recent $25 gift card promo. The m.o. was as follows: during the application process you get a confirmation that the offer code was accepted. Then after you fulfill the offer requirement, nothing would happen. When inquiring about it over the phone, the phone reps provide this response: "Your offer was invalid. American Express only makes offers by direct email. We do not advertise with the blogs or on the web."

4. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow, that's a pretty strong statement. I would of course talk to them and ensure the terms of the offer. do you seriously believe they would renege on such an offer?

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I applied for one for my wife and finally after threatening to close all of my accounts, she received the 75k bonus that she was entitled to. For some reason on this particular card, they are not as reliable as they usually are. I have the gold business card which does get 2 miles on shopping and gas and 3 miles for airline tickets, and I had no problem getting the bonus when I applied for mine.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be a better idea to get the offer confirmation in writing (through a secure message) before you commit so much spending to one card. I applied for the Premier Gold card with 50,000 points myself ~ 2 yrs ago. They eventually honored the offer, but only after making me jump through multiple hoops.

7. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, when i got the premier card last year, I had to call weekly until i got my points. I applied yesterday for the business gold and was declined (they said I had too many credit cards, can you imagine?). so its reconsideration time....

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    now they say that i was declined because a payment was returned on my other amex. Customer Service has now confirmed that no payments were returned. so now, I have to ask them to consider app....