New Gate Agent --- Asking about holding a flight - funny

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Indiana Delta Diamond, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I am sitting at the gate yesterday in IND. The incoming plane is coming from MSP and is delayed by an hour and a half. Missed connections in MEM are coming (including mine). There are some people standing at the podium...I am not paying attention to what they are saying. Then the GA gets on the phone, calls a more experienced agent and asks how she calls down to the gate in MEM so they can hold the flight. I thought I was going to fall out of my chair laughing. :)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't GAs get training before they're thrown to the wolves?

3. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    They canceled the 'Cynical and Surly' training unit and now expect the GAs to pick up those skills on the job.

piqaro likes this.
  4. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sign of a lack of education on the part of . . . ?

secretsea18 likes this.
  5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmmm... the site will not let me include the post in this reply...

Any way, please refer to to post #1.
    I think this is really funny.
    Yesterday in MNL we had a significant delay on the second of two daily flights out of MNL. There were a number of passengers in the SC telling the SC agents to just tell all the connecting flights in NRT to hold their flights for them.. I just shook my head....

BamaGirl, Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nevertheless, I wish they wouldn't lie about it to passengers. I hate it when I overhear FAs telling passengers that the captain will call the airport and tell then to hold all the planes listed on the manifest. IMO it's better to control expectations than just push the problem down to the next station.

bluesky and Exiled in Express like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm finding that happens when my internet connection burps- if it burps, it doesn't load the quote, and once it recovers it refuses to load the quote- must be something cached which remembers I clicked "reply" and won't repeat the paste of the quote.

8. crackerpup

crackerpup Active Member

Status Points:

+1 and agree with managing expectations so a real solution is worked out sooner rather than later.

FWIW, I have a couple of theories on their motivations (total supposition on my part):

#1: They (FAs & GAs) tell the customer what they want (need?) to hear so the customer feels better and their anxiety level is lowered. This is the "little white lie" that helps to calm and soothe. Can it help some customers who are freaking out about missing their connection? Sure. Right thing to do? Probably not.

#2: The FA has a wicked sense of humor and uses this opportunity to have a little joke at the customers' expense. In the case of the original post, the joke was on the newbie agent. The FA example is intentional and clearly inappropriate. The GA example is simply not knowing the reality of the situation.

And, yes, I would have had to chuckle about the gate agent situation. Not proud, just honest. [​IMG]

9. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually meet this with a raised eyebrow and a shake of the head, for better or worse it is not always a lie. I had a Pinnacle flight into DTW take a hour delay and then lose some more time circling DTW during a winter storm. I was down to 15 minutes left of a 2 hour connection, saw my flight was A6X and made the run. Five minutes past scheduled departure I show up panting in from of a GA working a flight to MSP and ask if I can get on that flight. She says no problem and starts working on the rebook and then tells me my plane is delayed at the next gate. Sheepishly I go down the terminal and ask the correct GA if I made it. Turns out there were 3 757s in a row all bound for MSP, all taking a delay to allow for connections.

kayet likes this.
  10. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing makes me angry while travelling more than having an issue and being told that the appropriate person to deal with it is (conveniently) the one just through security, or on board, or at the next airport - and when I arrive there, they start the buck-passing exercise all over again [​IMG]

11. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delays and missed connections wouldn't be that much of a problem if the customer service desks were staffed for it. The real problem for me is when I have a tremendous wait just to talk to someone at a counter...

12. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the GA was trying to appease some riled up customers...

13. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Definitely not. It was clearly a new GA who didn't know such a thing was impossible.

14. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what else Delta can do. They can't have enough staff for irregular operations (especially at outstations) and still make money. They have rebooking stations (or really any active gate reader). The kiosks do a pretty good job of rebooking. And when none of those things work, I call on the phone.

15. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shhhh... blissful ignorance is a good thing :)