New First Square?

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by gleff, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    So this was really interesting. I frequently see (1) award seat released for ANA flights in first class operating with the new 77W aircraft.. but usually just the day before travel.

Earlier in the week I noticed 2/12 JFK-NRT with 2 first class awards. Not the afternoon 'extra' Saturday flight (NH1009) but the regular NH9.

Turns out I learned later these weren't the only 2 seats that had been available, a reader of my blog had gotten 2 seats on this flight. When I helped a friend book the 2 I saw, there were only 3 seats left for sale. We grabbed the 2 and there was only 1 seat left for sale.

Wow. 4 award seats in F on the same JFK-NRT flight. With the 77W, new first square. Wow!

But.. has anyone actually flown the thing? I mean, I've only seen like two reports online ever about it. I know it's new. It flies JFK/MUC/FRA/LHR-NRT, right? Not a lot of awards released in the past, so presumably not a lot of people here have been on it?

The seat looks great, assume that's the only difference between that and the 'old' first class which was the 'new style' first class only a few years ago :)

I'm flying the regular F myself ORD-NRT in a week, and then returning NRT-IAD. Happy with that, but wondering how the two seats compare?

2. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did it FRA-NRT in December and the only difference is really the wood box and the IFE screen is just a tad bigger. You also have a coat closet right outside your seat. The seat itself seemed to be the same thing as what is now "old" F is with the exception of the surroundings. the seats are very private, not quite a TK/9W F seat or an SQ Suite, but it comes pretty close and is great if traveling by yourself but hard to talk across the aisle.

3. mjm

mjm

The jist of what I am hearng here (Tokyo) from people is that the privacy detracts from the feeling of actually being in the cabin and thereby detracts from the feeling one expects in F.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand how privacy takes away the feeling of first class?

5. I don't get that at all either. Maybe some think international F is a "see or be seen" affair. But most certainly not me, I do it all the time and the more privacy the more better.

6. mjm

mjm

Honestly, I find it odd too. I liken it to the Emirates suite or the SQ suite. Surely one would want those. I suspect that the NH product never has been that type of thing and as such perhaps those who have shared this thought with me feel it is a different beast.

I would defintely prefer the new box I believe. HAve C booked for ORD in April, but may see about F to Franfurt soon.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, that helps, I thought there was something I was just missing. To me the privacy is great, I forget that there are others in the cabin and can feel much more relaxed and at home. I don't have privacy in a C cabin really, much less in Y, and I don't find those cabins more special. [​IMG]

8. mjm

mjm

May be showing my age or the miles under my belt but I am right there with you on the feeling of "Yeah, so..." about C. [​IMG] I am sorely tempted tp book JFK or FRA just for the flight. But if indications in the press here and past NH fleet upgrade style are anything to go by a year of patience will see the suites on more routes that I am planning to travel on for the destination as well as the flight. Patience is going be my undoing though.

9. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I don't mind being isolated in my 'own little world' unless I'm traveling with someone. Especially when I'm sleeping, I don't want to feel like I'm sleeping in the open, something I kinda feel in the current (non-388) LH F.

10. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In comparison to the "old" F , the "square" F is more enclosed. I have have always felt perfectly(and happily) alone in the old F ! The catering is what sets it apart for me !

11. mjm

mjm

So very much agree on the catering, especially the wine list. Of course the service, grace, and charm of the cabin staff help make it very special to be in F on NH.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh definitely, NH does have in my view the best food in the sky. And of course such a deep and varied menu of choices. Their amenities are 'ok' but you can take what you wish which is nice (probably couldn't do that if they were offering Hermes or Bvlgari or Ferragamo!). Wish they did new PJs for you to take. But I'm happy with the food and drink and of course the service.

I admit, I actually find the 'old' seat a little bit uncomfortable for sleeping, that's probably because I think they need a thicker, more plus mattress pad and also pillows. And the old seat lacks the sort of storage that would be rather nice... So I imagine in this latter case the new seat must be an improvement.

13. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall if the new seats were made by Koito? The new PY seats were and that is why we don't see them used. If they are Koito seats then we could expect further differences. But, yes the best food in the sky (although not for everyone).
    With NH being profitable again, perhaps they will put back a few of the amenities that they have removed .
    Cheers

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Which amentiies are gone? My first NH F segment in a year is next week.

15. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The menu has been reduced over the last few years, other amenities have "changed" !

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/svc/en/f/meal/1102/ORD_NRT/

My ink above does not show the Japanese meal options.....although the menu is quite substantial, if you can compare it to a few years ago it has fewer options (BTW, last time I flew it I never made it past all the apps I had ordered [​IMG]).

16. mjm

mjm

I think you will find most everytrhing except the PJs. The basket passing and helpibng yourself idea while green is a bit cheesy for First. I do not have a good idea for a happy medium, but although entitled to three toothbrushes for use during my trip at my destination, I always feel odd about grabbing three.

17. mjm

mjm

I think the midflight choices are fewer, but maybe the full meals are pretty much the same. no?

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's why I kinda like it when they leave the basket out in the cabin. I can take what I want later without feeling awkward. I've had that on some flights but not on all.

19. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have the old menus around me but they read like short novels......

20. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you share the links to the reports?

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, there was one brief report on Flyertalk. But we're about to get a full one here, as noted in the Trip Reports forum. Should be a good read in a few days..

22. Just to add a note about award availability... someone royally screwed up at ANA this morning because F was wide open EVERY DAY for the rest of year on the JFK route. I grabbed myself seats between Christmas and New Year's. They quickly fixed it though... only lasted a few hours.

23. derpelikan

derpelikan Active Member

Status Points:
    ana actually has crazy availability on a lot flights out from europe to japan.
    i never can find ANA seats on miles but from march 1 to march 15 all flights from europe show very good availabilty

24. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually flew this on NRT-FRA just after new years this year. Have been meaning to get around and post some pictures. Haven't flown the old seat before, so can't say much about how they compare, but the new seat was really nice. Service was very good as well, and I definitely recommend the udon noodles with shrimp tempura for a mid-flight snack!

QSG likes this.