New Findings about propagation of Alzheimers disease

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by jbcarioca, Feb 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our own canucklehead works on the same subject in the same place, The Taub Institute. Not only is he the prime force supporting the Kiva DO but he is, in his spare time, contributing to breakthrough science in a critical area affecting many of us.

I thought you all should know what he does in his spare time when not promoting the MP Kiva team!:D

This does deserve our serious support.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0031302

Toula, YULtide, rehoult and 7 others like this.
  2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for poasting this -- very cool!:cool:

Toula, MissBurrill, YULtide and 4 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't understand a single word.... But having watched my grandmother go through Alzheimer's for many years, this is something I care very much about. What a terrible, terrible disease.

IDGflygirl, nime01, Toula and 6 others like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article is quite packed with details and scientific terminology. Perhaps this NYT article would provide better illumination.

In addition, NPR has an interview with the lead researcher on the paper.

Alzheimer's disease IS a devastating disease and given how many are affected (5M+ people with AD alone in the US), it is likely that most of us have family members with the disease. While we are far from a cure, this is a good step forward to understanding and, one day, combatting the disease.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize for posting one that was too technical. It was one of the first ones I read.

IDGflygirl, nime01, Toula and 5 others like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No need to apologize.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The NYT article was quite helpful. I'll listen to the NPR report later. Thanks!

IDGflygirl, nime01, Toula and 5 others like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the things to keep in mind is that Parkinsons disease has many commonalities with Alzheimers (Ho will correct me if I am wrong, I hope). So, even though these finding are not even the beginnings of a cure, they do provide, for the first time, clear evidence about how the plaque propagates, thus does point to potentially major advances in diagnosis and treatment, both of which have suffered from a lack of understanding about how the disease advances.

The really exciting part about this, IMHO, is that the applied research now can be far better focused because there is a clear target.Heretofore applied research has been sort of "try something, if it works do more of it, if it doesn't, stop", due to the lack of a causal link for targeting. The virus-like propagation is a huge advance in those terms.

Disclosure: I am not competent to make these statements. I did well in biochem and I spent one of my first careers as an epidemiologist, so I have an avid interest. My large personal dream is that, like other things that behave as virus tends to, we may find environmental links that can enable another avenue of exploration. So far lots of research has tried to find such links, but absent a sound theory of plaque propagation they have not had adequate focus. With luck that will change now.

Ho, did I make sense?

9. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over the past few years I have been in the position to do some research on treatment options for Parkinsons. I am not a scientist. I am a simple loaner of funds, among other things. I have a friend who has the disease. What piqued my interest is that a cluster of other folks who worked with him years ago have also suffered from the disease. It was curious to me that a number of men who worked in the same field at the same time would develop this devastating illness. All of them were exposed to various levels of radiation over an extended period of time.

IDGflygirl, nime01, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    well stated jbcarioca.

The implication of this work and from others provides a common base for understanding multiple dementias, including Parkinson's disease (PD). In fact, 40% of AD patients also have signs of PD, which is part of my lab's research -- AD, PD and common links to the disease and shared mechanisms of pathology.

IDGflygirl, nime01, YULtide and 4 others like this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting, perhaps at the Kiva Do, we can discuss this and the specific circumstances. I also think there may be mechanisms for investigating this and I just prior to the Do, I will be reviewing grants for an agency that might be interested.

12. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be my honor to chat with you about this. Thank you.