New feature on a diffent site

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Gargoyle, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Another forum I frequent has just rolled out a new feature. If, in a post, you put another users handle with the @ sign in front of it, (like @Pizzaman or @Randy Petersen), that user gets an e-mail informing them they they have been tagged in a post. It's a way to be sure a specific individual(s) sees a post that you want them to see.

Newscience and FriendlySkies like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually we have that feature and it's already being used. Look at this alert that I received when you tagged me here on MilePoint in your example. Members control their own preferences if they choose to receive an email with the tag or not.

image.jpg

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Super cool. I missed this in the rollout. Enabling now...

storyteller and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Yep, pretty cool @Pizzaman @Gargoyle
    There's some other features that we'll call out from time-to-time. I especially like the "Watch Forum" feature which comes in really handy for forums you might not visit very often such as The Exchange. Also, not sure if you've seen it in action or maybe just didn't notice it because its the coolest ever is that we now have a window-shade for long quotes. You know how on other websites when someone quotes a very, very long post it makes for reading a thread almost a painful experience? Not so on Milepoint. When you quote a long post, it auto window-shades it so you see just the beginning of the post that was quoted and if you really do want to read it instead of going back upstream, you can click on it and it rolls out. No more distractions when reading posts for continuity flow.

Just more of how the technology that Milepoint evolves is oriented toward the member and their time online with Milepoint.

P La Rue, Newscience, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  6. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool indeed :D

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yup, th@t worked. C@@L

8. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a note: it seems to skip the tag alert if you're also quoting the user. That is, if I quote Randy and also tag him @Randy Petersen he will only get the quote alert. Not a bad thing, just FYI. Quoting trumps tagging.

9. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I think the Al Gore's rhythm of logic on this scenario is to not over alert you by sending two different alerts for a single post and in order of importance "content (post/quote)" trumps a "Bat signal (tag)".

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Gargoyle and dmel like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's amazing all the things Al Gore has given us. We should be thankful. I had noted the same behavior with tagging and wasn't sure if it was a feature or bug. Makes sense.