New EXP, questions about waived fees

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, May 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a new EXP, I understand that I would be exempt from many many ticketing and change fees. However, experience has taught me to look for gotchas, hence a few questions. In particular, just who has to be EXP: the traveller or the person who paid the miles/money or both?

1. Revenue tickets
    As long as date change or cancellation are permitted by fare rules, I assume I would be exempt from any associated fees if I purchased the ticket myself. Now the gray area:
    If I purchase a ticket for a non-EXP, are the change fees waived?
    If a non-EXP purchased a ticket for me, are the fees waived?

2. Awards: Basically the same question
    If I used my miles to purchase an ward for myself, I assume I would be exempt from any change/cancel/redeposit fees.
    If I purchases an award for a non-EXP, are the change fees waived?
    If a non-EXP purchased an award for me, are the fees waived?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    1. You don't get fees waived on revenue tickets because you are EXP. You just get any service fee associated with making changes (calling a phone agent to make a change for example) waived should you need to make changes, etc.

2. You're waived from fees using your miles, but if a non-EXP uses miles for your ticket they are not exempt from fees associated with canceling/modifying.

wrxmom, Aktchi and perryplatypus like this.
  3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the fine distinction I was missing when I read, "Waived ticketing service charges on award tickets and revenue tickets." I thought service would cover making changes.