New Destinations from DCA??

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dreamworks, Dec 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brett Snyder (Cranky Flier) has a good write-up about how Delta is using their slots at LGA. http://crankyflier.com/2011/12/19/w...ig-expansion-at-new-yorks-la-guardia-airport/ And of course that got me thinking about how US will use theirs. My hope is that they take Delta's gates in the Central Pier alongside theirs.

I also hope that we get mainline service to destinations that are of decent size. I realize that they are getting fewer slots in the swap, but I'd still like to see them flex a little bit, instead of simply adding more service on CRJs to Hartford and Erie, PA.

Guesses?

iolaire likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta just dropped a few nonstops DCA to MIA . We had a nice presidents day trip rerouted with a stop and there are now no nonstops. I'm fairly sure that there were a few others when we booked the trip. Now its via ATL.

Dreamworks likes this.
  3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others would probably know what large cities US doesn't serve from DCA. I'd like to see Chicago, which I know would put them up against AA and UA, but it still makes sense to me as a city pair, given the size of the market.

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know US said that they are announcing their new DCA routes in the beginning of January. I would like to see them compete in the ORD route as well as some other top biz destinations. I would love to see them pick up the DCA-MIA route that DL is dropping. Hopefully serve some smaller North East cities that will loose LGA service. I would even love it if the rumors of a few slots being freed up from the perimeter rule giving US the chance to go Left Coast from DCA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I'd love it if EVERY slot was freed from the perimiter rule. :D One of the dumbest things I've seen.

Titans26 and Sean Colahan like this.
  6. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Made sense at the time that they spent all that money on Dulles. But now that Northern VA has tons of people who use IAD, it doesn't make any sense.

7. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too, am anxious to see the additional service they plan to add from DCA. The airport is a 15 minute cab ride from my home, so DCA is by far, my preferred airport.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only route I know has been discussed extensively up here at least, is DCA ISP. The politicians and supposedly US staff has been to ISP and Newsday said it would happen as part of the slot swap.

While it makes sense and is probably well timed considering WN's draw down at ISP, there are no guarantees it will happen, but one can hope if it does it won't be on a buzz bucket Dash 8.....

Happy New Year all....

9. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the first round has been loaded. Way too many CRJ flights if you ask me.

Here's a link to the FT thread. I only searched for the one flight I might make some use of, DCA-FAY, and it appears to start 3/25.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sucks that there are a lot of CRJ flights, but a lot of the capacity lost in LGA was dash-8 and some CRJ flying. The mainline fleet is pretty well utilized, with new A321s replacing 737s.

Once the RJ First Class project is complete, that should open up some additional capacity for upgauges. We're already seeing some downgauges elsewhere in the system, for example A319 -> CR9 for PHX-RNO which should free up some more mainline aircraft. I also think with more A321s, that would be able to reduce frequencies elsewhere without reducing the number of seats (I have PHX-LAS in mind)

I'm also secretly hoping that US can buy back some E190s that they sold to Republic.

Dreamworks and Sean Colahan like this.
  11. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    From your lips to Doug Parker's ears, my friend.