New Continental Elite Status Match Challenge

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Robin, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Continental is now offering an Elite Status Challenge instead of just Matching Elite Status. It matches for only 90 days from when you start the offer and you have to fly a certain amount of miles on Continental within those 90 days to retain status for the year.
    Check out this link for the details: #93

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't specific to a date; anyone can request it and you get 90 days from that request. This is in place of CO's previous policy of a straight match. Now it is a challenge.

3. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, why would anything become easier?

4. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will they let you do a status match challenge from UA? I know they have the straight up match now, but the reason I ask is that I am a 1P now, but won't requalify for 1P next year. However, if I do the status match and fly 17,500 EQM during the challenge and that challenge ends after 7/1, I get CO Gold until 2/2013.

5. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, that strikes me as an attempt at gaming the system. [​IMG]

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA won't do status match challenges based on status on other *A airlines. I would assume that CO has the same policy. Even more so, since you're talking UA-CO. You can ask, but I'd be prepared to get shot down pretty quickly and definitively, if i were you.

7. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would never do such a thing! [​IMG]

kwai likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any reason not to do this at this point in time? Any guesses as to how well they'll track CO challengers when onepass ends, with respect to possible future UA challenges?

I have some UA flights coming up, but will not come anywhere near completing the plat challenge. Interested in opinions on how this might play out.

9. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt you'll be able to do a challenge at this point in the year. In previous years, UA shut down the status challenge program in the last quarter of the year and restarted it around Feb of the following year. Given the harmonization efforts, I'd guess CO is the same way. You can ask them, but I wouldn't expect it.

EDIT: Cuz I was wrong about the timing! Apparently, the program is open all year now.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53424,00.html
    http://www.continental.com/web/en-U...ons/registrationDetails.aspx?promoCode=TB8230

In any case, the previous UA rule was a once-a-lifetime thing, which is reflected in the rules. The CO rule is that you can not have done a status match in the last 5 years. It's anyone's guess as to which rule will survive.