New Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa Signature Card Benefits

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK. Not going to list it all but here's the section from the "Rewards" tab. Click through the link to see other options.

Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership2

Your first eligible checked bag is free for you and up to four traveling companions2

Priority Boarding - Enjoy an enhanced boarding experience, and use the extra time to prepare for your flight2

Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount each year of cardmembership in which you spend $30,000 or more in purchases and renew your cardmembership2

Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back - up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year2

Receive a 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases 2

Double AAdvantage® miles on American Airlines purchases - Earn 2 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible
    American Airlines purchases2 and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases2

Relax with AAdvantage® miles that may never expire2 and with no mileage cap2

No blackout dates on award travel on
    American Airlines, American Eagle, and the AmericanConnection® carrier2

No Preset Spending Limit2
    There's no need to worry about hitting your spending limit, as long as you pay in full each month the amount that exceeds your revolving credit limit

Fly using 7,500 fewer AAdvantage® miles with Reduced Mileage Awards2

jbcarioca, wrxmom, penumpang and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Lucky's quick take on some of the changes: LINK.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. girlsmom
    Original Member

girlsmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems if you already have an old card (Platinum Select) the benefits will apply as well.

6. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I have been told so far, the benefits will NOT apply for the Business version of the card. It took two phone calls and the Citi agents were pretty clueless (didn't even know the new benefits were being offered when I first called), but that's what they said.

I am hoping that we can use these benefits from the personal card on our flights on Wednesday, even though the terms say we can't. Hopefully the people at the airport will be clueless as well and we can just talk our way in to priority status.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  7. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    of course I just redeemed some miles too... the rebate will be nice next time.

8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my question, too: rebates go into effect for redemptions starting when?

9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was posted on FT (and copied from AA's facebook page):
    Cardmembers that currently have the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard and Citi® Select® / AAdvantage® American Express will start enjoying these new benefits today!

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you got your answer from AA on Twitter, but for others are who are reading, here is confirmation that these new benefits are for personal cards only:

citibusiness.JPG

11. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the first bag checked free and priority boarding: "This benefit is valid for travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012." Too bad I just booked a flight the other day!

12. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would assume today. Because it says that all new benefits are valid for cardholders starting now.

The 10k back per year really undercuts the value of this benefit. I mean it is awesome that a 100k BIZ milesAAver to Europe is now only 90k but after you complete that trip you don't get any more AAdvantage Miles Back? That sucks.

I reviewed this announcement today on my site and read the fine print on these new benefits.

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    10K is a lot better than 0K !

14. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here, I booked last week.....

15. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrgghhh... me too. I have 2 tickets booked just recently.

16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worse, I booked a United flight on mine. :)

17. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked 2 award flights but this will come in handy next year

18. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad now that I didn't dump all my AA cards. That 10k rebate will come in handy for an Asia award I'm planning to book soon.

19. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fine print on the checked bag benefit states "select domestic destinations" I don't suppose they would be so kind as to tell us what destinations they've selected? Do we find out only when we go to check in?

And let me guess, OGG, KOA, HNL, LIH aren't covered destinations.

Still, at least they're starting to step up their game against the other card.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a ticket a few months ago for a flight next month. The schedule has changed so I'm thinking of changing it to another flight. Would this change it to "ticketed" after 4/2 so I can use these benefits?

rharrigill and jbcarioca like this.
  21. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can weigh in.

perryplatypus likes this.
  22. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, now even more of us will be in the priority boarding lines. I didn't earn it by flying either, but the Priority AAcess line is getting to be a joke - it's often longer than the regular line.

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  23. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the "people" who start lining up on the Priority Access line 20 minutes prior to boarding.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to United. ;)

25. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere, but I remembered THIS thread, so when I got the e-mail I describe below, I decided to post this here.

FEE INCREASE! FEE INCREASE!

Actually I am quite less than livid about it, but nevertheless Citibank is raising my annual fee on my "AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard Platinum Level" (which I have had for a decade or so) from $85 to $95, and it is doing so without me asking to go to this newly announced card. I got an e-mail this afternoon touting the new benefits to my card. The e-mail I received sends me to this web page: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/citi_benefits.jsp

Buried (in my opinion) on the page are two sentences that the benefit change is tied to a fee change.

"These benefits are made available in connection with a change to the annual fee.
    If your account is subject to this change, you will receive a notice containing more information."

I hadn't received a separate e-mail about a fee change, so I called Citi.

First thing I noticed was a change in the standard practice of asking me my mother's maiden name so that now the rep volunteered when asking it what the first letter of the maiden name was(!). But then, on the fee, she said I am currently paying $85 but it will go up to $95. So I said, okay, when is the renewal date. She said it renews in July, but for one more year I will still be billed $85. I confirmed this back to her, saying you are telling me the first bill for $95 will hit in summer 2013, and she said "that's correct."

So, the new benefits. . . since I am trying to go for Hilton "Diamond" by spending $40K on the Amex Surpass Card, there is no way I am going to spend another $30K on my Citi AAdvantage card, so forget the $100 AA discount for spending $30K each year. And as a lifetime AA "Platinum" member the baggage and early boarding benefits to the Citi AAdvantage card mean nothing to me. And I virtually always wangle a way to sit up front, so the discount on on-board food and beverage purchases with my card also means nothing. The reduced redemption amounts on selected routes each quarter I have been getting all along.

What it boils down to, then, is that for the additional $10 a year I will be getting the new benefit of a 10% rebate on AAdvantage miles I redeem every year, up to a 10,000-mile rebate each year. And if I read it right, I will get within the next eight weeks the first 5,000 of that rebate in the next few weeks because I redeemed 50,000 miles on April 8 (I'll believe it when I see it).

So the $10 is probably worth it. But it did get my attention that they shifted all this around without my permission or request.

schnitzel likes this.