New CC Churner, Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Roaddoggin, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for a few cards in 2012 and got some decent bonuses, but after perusing forums and attending FTU LAX, I realize that I've been leaving millions of points on the proverbial table. I'm probably going to wait until Feb. to apply for new cards so there's about a month of low credit utilization after paying off holiday spending.

What I have in my wallet (all personal):

Amex Delta Platinum
    Amex Hilton Surpass
    Chase Amazon Visa (oldest card - that's why I keep it, albeit with a low limit)
    Chase Freedom Visa
    Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa
    Chase British Airways Visa

Any advice on what to add/cancel/replace?
    I'm thinking that I want to maintain a Delta Reserve Amex at all times (alternating between personal and business) for the benefits since most of my travel is on Delta, not to mention the MQM opportunities via spending.

My general credit card goals are...
    - to earn as many MQMs with Delta without flying so I can maintain top tier in a second program
    - to earn top tier in three hotel programs (roughly 150-200 nights a year in hotels for business)

My initial thoughts are...

Amex Delta Reserve Business
    Citi Hilton Reserve
    Citi Executive AAdvantage

It might be hard to come up with enough spend for the Delta reserve and Citi Executive AA, but paying rent, bills and business expenses on the cards may be able to get me there.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You already have the surpass card so you most likely have hilton gold thru march 2014, so no rush to get the citi hilton reserve, you can get two citi hilton cards with 50k pts for 1500 spend using the two browser, i have gotten these cards meet spend gotten points, canceled card and re applied and approved in a matter of 78 days. i usually get two of them every 90 days.

3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many times have you done this?

Mikus33 and malikguy like this.
  4. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten 9 cards, my wife has gotten 5, the first 3 times we each did it with only one card at a time, then went onto two at a time
    as a side note all 14 application got instant approval, we have never had to call in

Mikus33 likes this.
  5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every 90 days, for the 2 Citi Hilton cards, and a total of 9 in 5 quarters. That's an impressive data point.

Kalboz and Mikus33 like this.
  6. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    more like 6 quarters it took 3 quarters for the first three churns and then 3 quarters of 2 at a time. the wife keeps asking me how exactly we are spending 15 nights in london and dublin this spring all on points

marekam, servo and Mikus33 like this.