New CBP App

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Captain Oveur, Aug 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems pretty slick. Can see this being a huge hit with folks coming in through US pre-clearance in Canada (though it's not available yet at those checkpoints).

Note that it's in trial stage in ATL only right now.

From the article about the app:
    =============================
    There are five easy steps to MPC:

• Download the Mobile Passport Control App from the Apple App Store prior to arriving
    • Create a profile with your passport information
    • Complete the “New Trip” section upon arrival in the United States
    • Submit your customs declaration form through the app to receive an electronic receipt with an Encrypted Quick Response (QR) code. This receipt will expire four hours after being issued
    • Bring your passport and smartphone or tablet with your digital bar-coded receipt to a CBP officer

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    'If you have in-flight WiFi, you can complete the electronic form up to two hours before your flight’s scheduled arrival time, otherwise completing it on arrival in the airport terminal."

The customs arrival hall where use of mobile phones tends to be prohibited (for whatever reasons)?

YULtide likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that doesn't quite line-up.

Though I see plenty of people using their phone while lined up (doesn't make it right), until the private "security" person yells at them.

Then again, I don't see the people who usually line-up in the Immigration line quite being the type to use this program. I see this as being used by the frequent travelers and doing this while taxiing to the gate or on that long walk in T5 at ORD from the gate to the checkpoint.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But wouldn't the frequent traveler not just use Global Entry?

Sammich likes this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are quite a few advertisements for GE that you see if you're waiting in line, so I don't see this being that different from exposure/awareness. The difference is downloading the app and using it maybe a few minutes, whereas finishing waiting in line is tens of minutes.

The truly frequent traveler will still use GE, but for those without it, this seems a good alternative (whether done on the plane, or waiting in line but exiting after finishing the process).

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, they would. But imagine the time taxiing to the gate, and/or waiting for it to be your row to disembark. Using the app will be quicker, and more on the user's terms in terms of time.

Plus, at the clip membership is going, I can see waiting in line at Global Entry kiosks being a thing.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup. I have seen the Pre line have more people waiting for the id checker than the regular elite line. Hopefully they'll scale the global entry machines up and the manned booths down as membership increases.

I don't know that the app solution will actually be faster than Global Entry. But we shall see.