"New Cardholder" bonuses and authorized users

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by autolycus, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    My search-fu is broken this morning... I have an AMEX Platinum and was considering adding my wife as an authorized user for the year so that she can get Global Entry reimbursed and can get access to lounges without me--she might end up doing a decent amount of work travel this year. If I do that, will she still be treated as a new cardholder for the purposes of future sign-up bonuses? I assume she will, but best to ask, considering a sign-up bonus of 50k points or more is definitely more valuable than $100 GE app.

Thanks in advance!

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is your wife will be treated as a first timer for bonus purposes when she applies for the Amex as the primary account holder.

TAHKUCT and Mikel like this.
  3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you add your spouse as an additional cardmember she will still be eligible for a sign on bonus for her primary card, even Amex Platinum :)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I added my wife as an additional cardmember to my SPG Amex card account, they did not ask for her SSN. Would think that would be needed for them to uniquely identify her and later deny bonuses. If not, then I am afraid no Jane Doe will ever get another bonus from them (sorry!). :D