New Boarding Passes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Captain Oveur, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a much cleaner BP, with easy to read information.

And gotta love the indication whether TSA Pre-Check is in the ticket.

Page also mentions about iOS inclusion and upcoming Android availability.

Source

sobore and MX like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA app just updated itself to 2.4 & that language was included (iOS)

Captain Oveur likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Twelve different boarding groups. :eek:

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    ???

That's not 12 groups. It's 12 different folks that will be organized into groups. Note that anything in Black gets Priority Access, but we know EXP boards well before standard PA.

The others are OW elites, etc.

Circles for AA: EP/P/G/PA, and CK
    Circles for OW: EMD/SPH/RBY
    Circles for Groups 1-5

The actual boarding groups (6 or 7 depending on the filght) are documented here.

flyforawg and Captain Oveur like this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    For your comfort, safety and convenience.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then it is crappy UI, IMO.

If you want passengers to pay attention then don't give them more information than they need.

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks cleaner and clearer than old versions. At the SMD4, we were shown a number of variants for new design boarding passes by UA and asked about our preferences. Maybe there was some industrial espionage going on? ;)

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was pretty simple. Here's your identifier, listen for your group.

If you have a black circle you have priority access for the security line.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but I also agree with Wandering Aramean.

There's no need for 7 different black circles to identify priority access. If the black circle signifies priority access, then the black circle should clearly say priority access, and the small text next to it should identify your status.

While it's not 12 boarding groups, it is illustrated that way. If you're going to board together, I don't see why they need different identifiers. I haven't flown AA since 2002, so I don't even have much of a comparison to their old way vs. this way, but it seems to me like it is over-thought. Just my $0.02 though.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It also identifies status level, useful for lounge access and EP benefits in coach.

Most people with elite status know their status anyway, so I don't really see this adding to the confusion. What it does help with is the ability to sort priority versus nonpriority at the gate.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    My only concern is that if they make the boarding time larger, and emphasize that, they need to actually stick to the boarding time, and not earlier.

12. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To take a cue from UA though... if you automatically put the top 2 tiers in Group 1, next two in Group 2, etc., then have general boarding as 3-6, or however it maps out, doesn't that greatly simplify things if you're trying to sort people out at the gate?

This whole concept that each elite tier has to be called at the gate is silly... just put those folks in the lower groups. Back when I worked at DL, we used to have to board "passengers seated in group 1, along with sky team elite, priority, and silver, gold, and platinum medallion". Ironically... all of those tiers were automatically in group 1, so why mention them all. The more the gate agent talks, the more non-frequent flyers get confused and think it must be their turn by now.

I'd love to see airlines get to the point where we just call group 1 through N, and be done with it. For all of the complaining at UA around the new boarding groups, it did simplify things, even if they did give credit card holders equal boarding priority as lower tier FF status.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't upsell "Group 1 Boarding" as well to upsell it as "Group 3 Boarding" when adding that as a specific upsell. Having elites, upfares, etc. board before general boarding helps revenue in terms of people buying up in boarding order for overhead space, as Group 1 is the first general (non-status) boarding group that needs such space.

Look at the boarding order. It's not each tier, it's grouped. On two-class flights, EP and OWE board with First/Business as a single group, followed by Platinum/OWS as a single group, followed by Gold/OWR/PA/Group 1 as a single group.

Which is why I like the way Alaska does it, actually SHOWING the group currently boarding on the monitors and explicitly asking everyone else to STAY SEATED until their group is called.

14. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right... so if you group it, just make those groups equal a group number. EP + OWE + First + Business = Group 1. Plat/OWS = Group 2, and let general boarding start with say Group 3. There's nothing that says those groups have to be the same. That's the way UA does it, and it avoids the hassle of having to call EP + OWE + First + Business instead of just saying "Group 1". Those group numbers can be adapted depending on if it's two class or three class. Computers are smart these days ;-)

If you want to upsell for overhead space, sell it the way US does as an example. If you buy "Choice" seats, you are put in the first general boarding group.

I'm sure the system will work; my comment was that it seems over-thought; more complicated than it has to be.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This way, though, the value of having status is clearer. If anything, it's a tacit incentive for those who care about boarding order and don't have status to look at what it would take to get it (and as mentioned before, more people will by Group 1 boarding than some later group - it seems like a better value when you don't know that Group 1 is the third group).

Again, I don't think it's the elites we have problems with... and the new boarding stations at DFW A have elites at one place, general boarding at another, helping keep the confusion down by not co-mingling the boarding groups (at least that's how it's supposed to work).

I don't think they're going for simple in this case or they'd just assign and board by sequence numbers.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Real talk - customers on UA are all largely just as clueless and confused about the boarding process as the ones on AA. It's not like UA's "simplified" version is getting people on the plane in record speed and neither is AA's, so this whole UA vs. AA boarding process debate seems rather ridiculous.

As for the idea that the redesigned passes will confuse customers with the "added" information, I call shenangians. It's all the same information that can be found on AA's prior boarding passes, and likely can be found on UA's current boarding passes as well. Elite status, Priority Access, OW status, boarding zones, etc... were all present before. It's just packaged a different way. If you want to argue that the way it's display is confusing, I suppose that's an opinion I wouldn't have an issue with. I happen to find the new design cleaner and easier to read. That might be because I'm comfortable with the AA system though.

Prior to this new pass AA customers ended up boarding just like any other airline, and I bet you they'll continue to do the same after this new pass.

Honestly this has all the hallmarks of a "my favorite airline is better" contest between UA and AA loyalists. You're all pretty in your own special way. ;)

Captain Oveur and John777 like this.
  17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spot-on.

When United switched over the Shares, that was my first look at the "new" boarding pass. Holy cow, that was an absolute mess. It looked like a design straight from a TRS-80 computer.

Even the "old" AA BPs were much better than what United has now. Now, the AA BPs are even cleaner.

And I agree with the point about being familiar with things. However, I still fly a fair share on AS, so when I see the AA BP, like I'm using tomorrow, it's nice to see such a cleanly laid-out format that's easy to read.

For me, it's not just about the product, it's the effort the AA is putting forward to things like this. BP re-design, pre-ordering food on flights, reaching out to fliers for feedback on things....individually they're not big things, but those things do add up after awhile.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm really keen on the pre-ordering food process. A good example of AA using technology to make my travel experience more pleasant. As you say, taken individually these are not big changes. But, the full basket of items they've rolled out make my AA travel more pleasant.

Captain Oveur likes this.