New Blackberry Bold 9900 looks interesting

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by TRAVELSIG, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    gleff likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish my company would upgrade us to something new rather than sticking us with the old 8830 WE. This seems pretty nice, particularly the OS 7.

3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eventually BBs are going to move over to the QNX based Playbook OS...meaning that this 9900 is going to be obsolete :(

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange considering it seems they are really starting to push this OS7. The 9900 still looks my next phone however.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will always be an upgrade, otherwise people would still be rocking Moto RAZRs. :)

Blackberry OS 6.1 (now called OS 7) is actually interesting because it comes with that "dual persona" Blackberry Balance thing, so you could use your device for personal user (facebook, twitter, whatever) yet have access to your corporate data. That in itself is gonna be a huge deal for everyone that has always complained about how restrictive their corporate devices are.

The QNX based "super phones" won't be out until next summer from theb buzz around Blackberry World, so you have some time to rock your "new" phone this summer. :)

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    My blackberry never seems to make it a year anyway- so I should be more than fine :)

7. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just like the torch (BB 9800), this will be DOA! Android products are killing the competition!

Blackberry is not even trying to compete anymore. To the consumer, BB/RIM is an afterthought!

NEXT!:p

Robbiedeluxe likes this.
  8. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D I guess it all works out then eh?
    trololololololooooo......:p I get you though. But the BB occupies a niche in the smartphone market that isn't going to disappear overnight.

9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey it many not disappear overnight but its definitely getting smaller by the minute!

bakedpatato likes this.
  10. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps to some consumers, but not others. I have found that my BB gets me my mail in places where Android/iPhone users just scratch their head in confusion and ask me what I'm using. While I may not have as many gizmos and fun stuff as those users, I can get my work done, securely. That's what matters to me!

And yes, I'm drooling over the 9900, but debating whether I'll pull the trigger on it (currently on a 9780) or wait for QNX.

11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I currently have a Verizon BB Storm 2 - having gotten the first Storm the day it was released. I think failure is a mild word for BOTH versions. I can't wait to get rid of this lead weight.

My company IT department now supports BB, iPhone and Android, so my choices will be more open when I am eligible for an upgrade at the end of this year. I will, however, be holding out for a Verizon 4G LTE handset...which will probably still limit my choices even this fall.

12. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here, I'll give you a template for next time: :D :D :D

Eventually _______________ are going to move to _______________, meaning that this ____________ will be obsolete.

viguera likes this.
  13. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    To businesses, especially many that have a 5-7 year cycle just to introduce new technology, you'd better believe BB/RIM will continue.

There are thousands of businesses out there still committed to Windows XP, for instance.

viguera likes this.
  14. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)
    I know where you're coming from but I was more saying that RIM is going to replace the current OS with QNX so this change is along the lines of Mac OS 9 to OS 10

Chimpy likes this.
  15. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is true, but they have committed to doing the same thing apple did with preserving old functionality so that everyone can slowly move into this new world.

I hope in some ways that their 'NEW' ui interfaces are like carbon and so will work with minimal effort in OS 8 (or 9 or what ever it winds up being)

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually RIM is taking the completely opposite approach when it comes to OS upgrades, and I think it's a good thing. OS 7 (formerly 6.1) is completely incompatible with current devices, supposedly because it's tied into the new hardware. I have no doubts that the QNX-based stuff in the future will take a similar approach.

The Blackberry OS has been rock solid and heavily fortified for its corporate purpose, but at the same time that has been one of the great weaknesses -- reminds me of Windows NT 3.51 -- solid and virtually impregnable, but it's purpose-built around security which means problems with direct hardware access, etc.

This brings an even bigger problem into the Blackberry space... RIM decided to buy Bolt and incorporate their Webkit browser into OS 6. That opened up the first security hole into the platform (which was announced during pwn2own a couple of months back) and has thankfully not been exploited -- supposedly -- as of yet.

RIM has been grafting technology on top of its existing platform in order to remain competitive, and we all know that won't work. The new approach of starting fresh rather than handicap the new OS to be compatible with existing hardware is definitely the way to go... just throw everything out and concentrate on making the new stuff work as well as the current competitor's products. That is what's going to keep them in business.

17. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    *raises hand*
    I have a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP with Office XP (ie, 2002) and IE6 which I've had for 2.5-3 years (somewhere in that range), an upgrade from a 3 year old Latitude D600. I also have a BB 8830 World Edition which I've also had for a little over 3 years, an upgrade from a 7290. So yeah, I'm basically on 4 year old hardware with 10 year old software. They're supposedly in the works to move us to Office 2010/IE8 at some point this year, not sure if that also means Windows 7.

18. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is more related to memory and cpu requirements that operating system issues, from what I hear. The current gen phones are to damn slow for the fancy ass batman they wanted to show off.

The structure of the OS remains the same in 7, still running the Java. QNX when it does hit the phones will, thankfully, be a clean break from the old Java VM/OS which, imo, needs to die. However they ARE talking about for Playbook/QNX is the "Application Runner" concept for "Old School" BB apps, just like the Fake OS 9 that Apple had for OSX when it launched.

There is to much institutional inertia at large firms with big investments in business line applications developed for the Blackberry via the BES/MDS architecture for them to truely remove the old BBJava code totally, that are instead relegating it to a secondary VM.

19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on the industry, and more importantly on the size of your organization. I've worked for large financials like UBS, Credit Suisse, Citi and others, and the upgrade cycle is horrendously long for hardware, and even more so for software.

The hardware you can understand, as desktops are still very expensive in spite of volume discounts. The software is a combination of licensing costs and the fact that nobody wants to be the early adopter. I know of quite a few people that upgraded to Vista for example and had to deal with horrendous growing pains. When you have to upgrade 75-100k desktops globally you take things very, very slowly. :)

The mobile environment is different though... the hardware is a loss leader for the carriers so if your organization is big enough chances are most Blackberry devices are free or nearly free, as they make money from the monthly charges.

The upgrade cycle on that side for companies with money to burn is usually 12-18 months tops, since the higher ups never want to show up at a meeting with other people touting old tech. :)

20. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That depends on the IT and Audit/Compliance departments. I have a friend with a large Finance company that everyone is forced to carry an 8830 running OS 4.2, and thats the WAY it is no questions asked, if you need BES access.

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one of the biggest problems that I have with the platform as a whole. It looks like RIM has truckloads of old CPUs and cameras and they just keep Frankensteining devices using what they find. The 9800 and 9780 both are "new" devices touting the same 624MHz CPU that they've been using for ages.

More RAM and optimizations help keep the slowness at bay, but just barely. And you can see that when you try to load up OS 6 on one of the older 9700 devices... it runs ok, but you're looking at 60-75% of the onboard RAM already used before you install a single app.

That's actually not a bad approach from what I've seen -- when it works. The Playbook does a decent job of virtualizing the PIM functions of the device, without it feeling horribly virtual as something like Good does. Still, it would be interesting to see what QNX and a decent multi-core CPU can do to the user experience down the road on a phone running natively -- if they do that -- rather than using the Bridge software.

Tell me about it... there are firms that have spent millions and years on specialized apps that are embedded into the environment. It should be interesting to see how things will shape up next year. :)

22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh... that's beyond ridiculous. :)

Other than application compatibility, there's no real reason to stay that far back. But there are some basic flaws in the entire RIM setup that have required companies to come up with "creative solutions" to address some shortcomings -- namely SMS archiving for SOX compliance, or their own brand of MVS or application distribution since RIM has spent years coming up with flawed alternatives.

23. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I to preach these lines, but its the same damn story. Put Os 5.0 on a 9000 or 4.5 on an 8700, its just the different hands of the RIM Octopus not talking, carrier relationships demanding upgrades on devices for business reasons that dev shouldn't accept.

They promised BES/MDS control of the PlayBook by Devcon, or maybe it was "Summer" but with RIM I assume "Summer" means devcon, which I would view as a huge impediment to getting QNX onto the phone.
    Should be an interesting year to be a BB dev ;)

24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... knowing them you're talking about an announcement during DevCon. The actual availability will be Q4. :)

Indeed. Can't complain too much I suppose, they certainly keep you on your toes -- not to mention employed. :)

25. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    *Here Here*