New Benefit for NEXUS members travelling to the USA

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Dec 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    YVR use to have a dedicated Nexus screening lane along with crew some time ago. Then they stopped and gave us priority access just to go to the head of the line that was waiting to get into the security area. So they are just going back to what they use to have. Alot of hype over nothing.

resipsa99 likes this.
  3. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, but I found that getting the priority access depended on who the screener. Some allowed it, but at least twice I was told that wasn't applicable any more and I just had to use the regular line...So I'm glad to see it officially reinstated.

ACMM and sfo1 like this.
  4. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Us in YYZ will be happy, especially on Monday mornings.....:)

5. Tangoer
    Original Member

Tangoer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago I was at YUL Domestic security, and the line was huge, but there was one empty lane on the right side with a Nexus banner.

I wonder, could one have walked into this empty security line? I thought these gates are only for domestic? I don't know YUL very well.
    On a domestic flight could you flash Nexus card and use this fast lane?

How about that Harper Government [sic]. I expect this whole securing of the Motherland initiative will require many many billions of dollars, while CPP will be gutted. Papers pleese!

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a bit confused about those NEXUS lines, but there would likely have been some ambiguity since these have never really been explained. We started getting NEXUS lanes at major Canadian airports for Domestic and International security mid-2011 as a fast track for "Trusted Travelers". For simplicity sake, the government designated these NEXUS and used the NEXUS ID card as the pre-screening device. However, they were not permitted to use the same procedure at Transborder security because it violated the usage terms for NEXUS that the two governments had agreed to. Until last month when both governments agreed that NEXUS cardholders would be considered under the respective "Trusted Traveler" programs as they got rolled out. This now allows these NEXUS lanes to be implemented at Transborder security too. (And some time this year, once the pilot programs are finished in select US airports, Canadians with NEXUS clearance will be able register in the formal US "Trusted Traveler" program.

You obviously thought the security lane marked NEXUS was taking you to the US, rather than to a dedicated channel in security for your Domestic or International flight.

Let's hope 2012 will finally see -- after more than eleven years since 9.11 -- a rationalization of airport security procedures, and universality of the NEXUS/SENTRI/GLOBAL ENTRY programs as the "Trusted Traveler" mechanism for NAmerica, if not reciprocally with other countries.

canucklehead and 2MM_Guy like this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that would be good. I'll still opt out of the body scanners on principle, but at least I'll be able to do it at a shorter line! :D

Tangoer likes this.
  8. Tangoer
    Original Member

Tangoer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the opposite - this Nexus lane at YUL was at Domestic security - could I have used my Nexus card on a domestic flight, and this Nexus lane?

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. This has been in place for quite a while now. The nexus card allows you to use the lane. I believe you still need a form of ID. I always user passport but use the nexus card to access the lane.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

Tangoer likes this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was trying to explain. These NEXUS lines were added recently at major airports to give us stage one of a fast track through security. They lead to a dedicated scanner and not just to the head of the main line. Ultimately these channels will have a modified procedure. At the moment they guarantee you will not have to go through the wave scatter machines on a random basis. As I said, it is a bit misleading/confusing because they are not NEXUS access to the US, just ultra priority for domestic and international security. However, the agreement will introduce them at the transborder checkpoints too.

Tangoer likes this.
  11. Tangoer
    Original Member

Tangoer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool...see I do not need AC status, still, as Nexus membership grants Priority Security eh? ;)

(I have Nexus and GOES - have not yet used it).

Say Share....err Canadian can I borrow a logo? :eek:

2MM_Guy likes this.