New BB10 stealing customers from other platforms

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by guinnessxyz, Mar 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...from-rivals/?tag=nl.e703&s_cid=e703&ttag=e703
    More than half of the customers snapping up a Z10 -- 55 percent -- are coming from a different platform, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said during a conference call today.
    Heins wouldn't go into detail about the breakdown of where these customers were coming from, but it's an encouraging sign that the Z10 was enticing enough that people were willing to switch over to the new device. It's one sign of progress for a company badly in need of a home run.

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it isn't (unfortunately) in the USA.

weevinweaver and GoodBoy like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    After the notorious and long-lasting outages a year or so back I would NEVER go back to blackberry.

This hit me when I was in Montreal I think in Oct or so 2011.

Plus my company no longer allows anyone to use blackberry - anything else, iPhone, android, but not blackberry,

weevinweaver and GoodBoy like this.
  4. By getting good reviews its just a matter of time.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe... Maybe not...

GoodBoy likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What might fuel BB's comeback is nostalgia because it was the first smartphone to offer many of the features (especially mobile email) that most are now taking for granted, and people still remember that. I do not know whether or not he is, but all it might take is for something like the word getting out that the POTUS, a highly visible and unabashed user of the BB at RIM's peak, is using the latest reincarnation of BB, for the floodgate to open. Heck, although I am happy with my current Android global phone, I looked the other day into what it would take for me to switch to the BB10, simply because I remember how I was attached to my BB "World Edition" (with the J.S. Bach "Fugue in D Minor" ringtone), which I lost in PVG, at which point, upon my return to the US, I switched to the new kid in town at the time: the DROID...

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...d-the-way-people-communicate/article10488996/
    "We transformed the way people communicate," Mr. Lazaridis says matter of factly. "Jim and I had an opportunity to build something unbelievable in this country. ... Building an iconic brand, building an iconic service and product and I hope setting an example that this can be done in Canada, by Canadians, and if you give back to the community, you create this virtuous cycle that has incredible long-term potential."

9. weevinweaver

weevinweaver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked Siri why I should buy a blackberry and she said "If you like outages and old technology"

10. flightnurse

flightnurse Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with most, had a BB once, like old boyfriends I never go back to something that didn't work correctly, alwats looking forward, so far my iOS hasn't let me down.

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always had some sort of issue with BB. Android seems to work far better for me.

12. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love my Z10. It replaced a windows 8x phone which replaced an HTC Evo.

sma_15 likes this.
  13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That 55% number is a little misleading. It shouldn't be a surprising number, given how most people buy a new device in two or three years. And considering the last time RIM/Blackberry released a new device.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-30/blackberry-ceo-questions-future-of-tablets.html

“In five years I don’t think there’ll be a reason to have a tablet anymore,” Heins said in an interview yesterday at the Milken Institute conference in Los Angeles. “Maybe a big screen in your workspace, but not a tablet as such. Tablets themselves are not a good business model.”

Sounds like Ballmer ripping the iPhone in 2007.

The bottom line is the tablet is as close as we've gotten to the Dynabook. Tech CEOs who don't grasp that are going to look as clueless as Ballmer looks now.

15. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet a blackberry perk...perk.. free in flight Internet from delta. Milepoint at 36k feet for free... priceless.

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the demise of Research in Motion is happening even quicker than I would have thought....

Bye bye blackberry... It couldn't last forever....

eponymous_coward and NYCUA1K like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those who might be wondering, here's a link to an ABC piece:
    Blackberry RIM: Users ponder company's future

eponymous_coward and mht_flyer like this.
  18. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still early. BB will be a niche product, give it time.

BBM will be rolled out to other platforms, so they will do ok, can't get much worse. =) I am really excited for the Z30.
    I like my Z10 and the OS has a lot of really good features.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  19. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is loyal folks like you, still estimated at 50M worldwide, who are likely to save BB!

21. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure many people other than Blackberry users will ever adopt BBM so I don't see a rollout to say Android or iOS doing any good for them, too many other competitors and just as good. Who would want yet another messaging product? As a iPhone and Android user (I have a iPhone and Samsung) I have no interest in yet another messaging program or platform.

22. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You mean like Palm, Amiga or Osborne? ;)

I've seen this film before. It doesn't end well.

23. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    BB still has over 50% marketshare in Middle East, Phillipines, etc.

USA is not the only market.

BBM is far superior to any other chat out there. It is far more than just chat. Have you ever used BBM?

24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Whatever those other markets are, they don't seem to be helping the company make money or quit losing market share. Firms that are doing well rarely issue warnings on revenue and layoffs.

Palm used to be a market leader in this market. They are dead and gone. Amiga used to make awesome stuff. They are dead and gone too.