New BA Promo: Earn a BONUS 100k BA miles with 3 roundtrip tickets -- must fly by Jan. 31

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by FrugalAsianMan, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this in my inbox earlier this morning, and knew that it'd be the subject of my blog's late morning post tomorrow: Earn a BONUS 100k BA miles with 3 roundtrip tickets -- must fly by Jan. 31

This seems like a pretty sweet deal for anyone with some time to travel to Europe (or plans on doing it anyway) between now and January 31st. Especially for those of you who have business travel to there coming up. EDIT: Pointed out in this thread that the taxes+fees from BA ruins this deal.

Just register for the bonus promotion and when you fly roundtrip from USA to Europe via British Airlines, you'll get bonus miles for each roundtrip. Here is the breakdown:
    1. First roundtrip: 15k bonus avios
    2. Second roundtrip: 35k bonus avios
    3. Third roundtrip: 50k bonus avios
    4. Any roundtrip after third: 50k bonus avios
    So after your third roundtrip you will have effectively already earned 100k bonus avios (on top of what you normally earn for the flights and with your miles earning credit card).

Must travel by January 31, 2013 and must register before booking.

The rest of the details & promotion page:
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bonus-avios/public/en_us

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the promo says 100k with just three trips, but that's not the limit... it is supposedly "unlimited" Avios.

According to the T&C item 5, you earn 50k bonus Avios for the third trip, plus 50k for each additional trip after that.

Obviously they included "purchased and flown" and disqualified award bookings, just so there's no misunderstanding. :) They also listed the fare classes per airlines, plus non-qualifying codeshares and partners.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    mmhm! You're right! Sorry if that wasn't clear in my post. haha. :] But since BA award flights from North America to London are 25k Avios each way (I checked for SFO to LHR), each roundtrip ticket after your second roundtrip ticket is essentially going towards a future free flight (subj. to availability).

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    "+ taxes, fees and carrier charges"

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but that's only a grand or so, right?? ;)

8. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears that AA requires registration prior to travel. BA requires registration prior to booking. Existing bookings with BA will not count. Or did I misunderstand the T&C?

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your blog is not seriously encouraging people to redeem their Avios for long-haul economy tickets, is it? What sort of advice is that?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people would rather have an extra trip of two if they were to fly in Economy...

Mikus33 likes this.
  11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Economy round-trip cash tickets JFK-LHR-JFK: $219.00 + $677.26 = $896.26
    Economy round-trip award tickets JFK-LHR-JFK: 40,000 Avios + $677.26 (or thereabouts)
    40,000 Avios to save $219.00 = 0.55 cents saved per Avios used

Now, just how many extra trips did you say that they would get with these extra bonus Avios if redeemed for economy trips? And how much cash do they need to spend to get the extra couple of trips in economy, even if they have the extra Avios?

I collect lots of Avios, but I know how far I would(n't) trust a blog that told me that my Avios could be "going towards a future free flight [in economy] (subj. to availability)".

12. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Where are you getting $677.26 from?

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_gb?cookiesAccepted=newvispop
    According to the BA calculator, it's 25k Avios each way from SFO to LHR.

Am I wrong in reading that page? It has a table/chart to let you know after you plug in the departure and destination airports how much avios you can pay and how much money you'd have to spend. The more avios you pay, the less you spend in taxes. For 25k it says "$0.00 + taxes, fees and carrier charge."

Are you saying that the taxes+fees will equate to $677.26? How did you calculate that? I can't find anything to that extent on the page.

What I did find was this:
    So an additional 27£ on top of the Avios?

I'll admit I haven't been doing this as long as some of you. If it turns out I'm wrong, I will definitely post a retraction statement to my readers. I'll also just give you the benefit of the doubt by ignoring the tone of your post, and just assume that you were having a really bad Friday. (And if you did have a bad day, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you have a better weekend.) I've always been told that the users of the MP community are friendly and helpful, and hope that proves to be a true fact and not a myth.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you think SFO-LHR is one of their shorter flights? ;)

BA is well-known on this site for charging an arm and a leg in fuel surcharges on award tickets. I am not interested in spending time figuring out the exact amount, but since it's your blog, you might want to ... :)

Globaliser likes this.
  14. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    With respect, it seems like you have a lot to learn before you are qualified to give any advice to your readers.

$677.26 is the taxes, fees and charges on a cash ticket. I thought that much might be obvious from my post. (FWIW, I'm getting the same number now for SFO-LHR-SFO, which might be useful for your retraction.)

The taxes, fees and charges on a BA award ticket are usually the same as the taxes, fees and charges on a cash ticket. (In the UK, they are exactly the same.)

Reward Flight Saver is only available to active members of the BAEC, and only available on some of BA's and IB's short-haul routes. JFK-LHR-JFK could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be considered a short-haul route.

(If you want technical detail, I believe that RFS is only available for Z1-3 redemptions and domestic ZA. But it might be better to concentrate on the basics first.)

15. FrugalAsianMan

Status Points:
    Gotcha.

Thanks for clarifying! Pretty big mistake on my part then. I didn't realize that the taxes and fees with BA were so high.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might want to know these things before blogging about it ...

Globaliser likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, though, he posted a correction. And not just a little subtle modification of the original post, but an entirely new post just to point out that it was a mistake. We all make those occasionally, I think. And we hopefully learn from it.

http://www.frugalasianman.com/2012/09/29/i-made-a-mistake/

18. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kudos to him. That's impressive!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.