New at UAL clubs $2 water

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tale, Dec 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tale

tale Active Member

Status Points:
    At JFK business Ua Lounge.

image-2507004481.jpg

2. tale

tale Active Member

Status Points:
    I think that is quite ridiculous to charge for bottled water.

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that right around the corner from the pay toilets?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't they have water available in the large container for free?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No lounge should charge for bottled water consumed within the lounge. If you want a to-go small bottle to take to the gate or onto the plane, I can see a rationale for charging, but I would still hope that the lounge would provide this for free.

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    free drinks, but for was non-drinkers we can pay for bottled water? lol. don't forget the tip.

Yes, you can get water from the cooler or you can get anything from the servers spigot (ie, club soda with ice/lime, etc).

-David

Pat89339 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    How much extra is ice for said water?

William JLP likes this.
  8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this idea for charging for bottled water being stolen from the CEO of Ryan Air, and god help us if UA takes any more ideas from him.

9. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    But don't forget, UA club memberships are going up in price.

LIH Prem likes this.
  10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the Clubs I have been in did not have bottled water available. If this is new, then for the convenience of having the bottle to take, $2 seems fine to me. If the club has historically provided bottled water, thats less desirable.

radonc1951, mht_flyer, desamo and 2 others like this.
  11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the charge will take away from masses just taking large amounts. I could only imagine if clubs just had a cooler of coke products for taking instead of machines or going to a bartender.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people are picky and only want bottled water. If they want bottled water to drink in the lounge, which is effectively just bottled tap water, they should pay for it. If they want bottled water to take outside and onto the plane, they should pay for it. I'm sure that anyone who asks for a glass of water will still be able to get it for free. I see this as an enhancement by making bottled water available for those who want it for whatever reason.

Ygor, mht_flyer, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    so for those of us that don't drink alcohol, which certainly costs them more than bottled water, it's ok with you if they charge us for bottled water?

Gotta love hearing other people say what others should do as if it's fact and the law of the land. :)

What type of bottled water is it?

I guess your thinking is that they are offering it as an added convenience, but they are still charging enough to make money on it. Depending on the type/size it's probably cheaper than what they charge airside. (I just paid $3.75 (!) for a crappy small bottle of aquafina at HNL airport the other day. Talk about price gouging. Chalk it up the airport authority willing to allow their concessionaires price gouge so they can can tithe more money back to them in this case.)

Though I really don't understand why you are so adamant about what they *should" do without knowing the facts. Isn't that what your blog is for? :D

-David

Pat89339, FlyingBear and mht_flyer like this.
  14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many of us really know the facts? That's what we do, randomly speculate on a photo of a sign six feet away.

I'm just saying, I'm happy with the water they give away for free from the tap. If they bring in bottles, that's new, and they ought to be able to charge for it. It's not the same as having bottles that once were free, and now they've started charging.

mht_flyer, 8MiHi and LIH Prem like this.
  15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    with that logic, the clubs that were all legacy RCCs should be charging for all alcoholic beverages.

But at least you are talking in first person now :)

-David

Pat89339, mht_flyer and Scottrick like this.
  16. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    You just said a dirty word under the realm of King Jeffie The First and if he hears you uttering the word "free" again, it's forever banished to the village with nary a hope of an upgrade you will be ;)

Pat89339, mht_flyer and Scottrick like this.
  17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Entering the UC is not free. The drinks are not free. The wi-fi is not free. The cheese, crackers, cereal, toast, hot chocolate, etc. are not free. One has either paid for membership, received a membership from Chase as a rebate for the money you make for them by using their card, purchased an international BF or GF ticket or flown so many paid miles that you earn entry when flying internationally.

How does a bottle of water somehow end up being seen as such a valuable commodity that they must charge for it alone? $2 ia nothing, but I will not pay it no matter how much I would prefer a bottle of water to a glass of water. Or two, or three, or four glasses of water. It's petty and offensive.

I don't drink alcohol, yet I already get a glass the size of a mini-cocktail for a Diet Coke. This as I squeeze my way through people drinking free booze all around me, but they won't give me enough to go sit down and get some work done without going back for a refill. I usually ask for two, or I pour two plastic cups of water.

It amazes me that someone with PR skills doesn't have to approve of things like this before they start offending their best customers with a practice like this. As my dearly departed Grandmother from rural Texas would have said, "That's just ignunt."

Brit, Santander, FlyingBear and 5 others like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatdo these water bottles cost at Costco (or, heck, Safeway)? 20 cents a piece? Is tipping expected on top of the $2 charge?

I have started to carry a refillable metal water bottle on trips where I don't know if I will end up in C/F. SFO, my starting point, has those refill stations that are quite convenient, but regular water fountains work, too.

And yes, KenInEscazu, those tiny sodas bug me, too. I don't need a Big Gulp, but something reasonable should be expected. Or, hey, how about self-serve non-alc beverages?

(writing this from the Senator lounge in FRA where everything is self-serve)

Brit, FlyingBear, mht_flyer and 4 others like this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry that some of you miss the point that as a new amenity they might want to keep the waste product down and not make it a big undertaking on their part. That's why most clubs provide soda and juice through a tap. Its cheaper for them and makes for less waste. If they put out a bin of anything, much more of it will be consumed. I doubt that they really make money on the $2 charge. Its more a way of rationing and keeping the place a bit 'greener'.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you on this issue, but it seems we are in the minority.

I liken it to the Club offering the choice of free well drinks and charging for premium alcohol. Water and ice water are complimentary. Bottled water is available for purchase.

Full disclosure: I avoid bottled water and plastic bags because of their environmental impact, especially marine plastic pollution. YMMV.

21. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can get the whole 'greener' thing, but if the UC is going to be charging a nominal fee to encourage this maybe it should be more like $1 instead of $2, and/or maybe have the proceeds benefit a charity or something. I like the convenience of being able to purchase a bottle inside of the club to maybe take on the airplane for later, but the idea of United profiting off of it when they already charge so much for membership comes across as very tacky, IMHO.

22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't understand why they are even stocking bottled water to sell in the club. "Premium" water is really a farce anyway; it's not like it's really any different from the water they already serve in the club. It's not like the premium alcoholic drinks where there really is a quality and taste difference. And I don't quite get buying a bottle to take on board the flight, although I know plenty of people do that. Still, bottled water is complimentary in flight in all cabins, and readily available. Honestly, I really couldn't care less. They won't be getting my $2.00, but then, the airport vendors generally don't get my $2.00 for their bottled water either unless I'm really thirsty and that's the only option available.

Brit, stephenbgarvan, Ygor and 4 others like this.
  23. tale

tale Active Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if this will help the comparison but here it is: British Airways which is a club next door has 1.5 L bottled water sparkling and flat for FREE.

Price wise the comparison is quite similar
    Round trip business class ticket JFK to SFO ~4000
    Round trip business class ticket to JFK to LHR~ 4000

Given that a bottle costs 20 - 50 cents retail depending on the quantity I understand this is a handsome profit, but really where does it stop.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  24. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd pay more than two bucks to be able to take a pre-security bottled (I don't drink alcohol anyway) drink on-board. Or, even a post-security bottle of something, if USA-bound (a sore point with HKG/Chinese airports).

Did anyone know that in Japan, train station managers have written notes for commuters to take in the event that the train is late? Well UA, at your HKG lounge, write me up a note saying the (US$2) bottle of water is fine to take along to the US...

25. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO the club with $2 bottled water is better than no bottled water. I think if there is an uproar over charging $2, then they will stop having it.