New architecture for threads / Cross posting

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by TuxTraveller, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    A discussion had started in another thread regarding the ability to be able to cross post between forums.

Instead I made the suggestion to change the architecture to allow threads to be accessible and visible in multiple forums. I envisaged this being done through tags associated with the thread that allowed the MiPo front-end to know which threads to display.

For the admins / developers please refer to the end of this discussion thread for more details:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/how-should-you-build-mp-community-when.1301/

I would assume this new thread is likely a better place to continue the discussion on any technical proposal

2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the several advantages of this is if/when a thread is removed to a different location/forum, thus causing consternation amongst those in the first location/forum who never visit the new l/f.

Or a thread ranting about a bad CS situation involving, say, UA and DL. Or a discussion of the new DL/Italy pass. I'll stop here.

TuxTraveller and lin821 like this.
  3. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bumping this to make sure the admins see this.

Any comments or thoughts from the admin team would be interesting as well.

lin821 likes this.
  4. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible currently to display one thread in two forums and can be done my moving the thread to a new forum and leaving a permanent redirect. I've never tried it before, but it might even be possible to move the same thread again to yet another forum, leaving a permanent redirect in the second forum as well. I'm not saying this would be a good idea necessarily, but it is a possibility.

The tagging concept is interesting and we will research and consider the pros and cons. There is quite a bit to consider when it comes to tags:

Who can tag?
    Are tag options defined or unlimited?
    How can tags be searched?
    Can tags be removed and, if so, by whom?
    How many tags can/should exist on a post?
    Should members be able to subscribe to tags and receive tag alerts?
    What does a tagging interface look like? Would a tagging interface cause clutter and/or confusion?

So, all in all, I wouldn't expect tags to be a feature you will see in the near term. But that doesn't preclude an alternative approach to addressing the overarching issue of discussions that overlap multiple forums.

MrsBobSgt, lin821 and TuxTraveller like this.
  5. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response Mikel and I agree that there are a numerous questions (probably even more than those that you have already mentioned) that would need to be decided on prior to adding a tagging feature.

The option to move a thread and leave behind a permanent redirct seems like a messy approach to achieving something that should be possible to do in a simpler manner. Possibly a function of allowing multiple forums to view a thread should be solely accessible for "Ambassadors" (or whatever the final name/title will be). I realise this may not be a priority in terms of the development but glad that it's being included for revision. I think this is a function that could really improve the quality of this site over the 'old one', where a lot of similar threads would appear in different parts of the site being discussed by different people instead of including the entire community.

MrsBobSgt and lin821 like this.