New app-o-rama time

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by michael21, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need some advice on an AOR for the Mrs...I finally got her to ask me, "When can I apply for more cards?" Ya baby!

Currently has:

1 AA card
    2 hilton visas and
    us airways card...

Considering:

Chase sapphire
    BA
    2x Thank you
    2x Hilton Reserve
    Amex Hilton
    SPG

The goals are multiple...Europe travel, domestic travel (all in first class) and hotel getaways...(4 one night getaways in category 7 hotels sounds nice hence the 2x Reserve)....I appreciate all feedback...

2. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well played! Do you have any of the "considering" credit cards? If yes, you can refer her and some will give you a bonus. I would definitely get the Chase Sapphire and SPG for their flexibility.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    my initial thoughts lead me to the 2x thank you and the Sapphire

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look at the Hawaiian and Virgin Atlantic card so you can get more HHonors points.. +1 on the CSP

5. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 2X Citi Thank You isn't the card for any 1st class traveling. It also doesn't have a sign-up bonus, so you're unlikely to rack up points for 1st Class travel unless you're a Big Spender.

Sure, 2X points sounds nice, but much of the pay-off for most is in the sign-up bonus, not on actually spending on cards.

I'd wait for a higher BA offer. The current offer is for 50K points, so I'd wait for a 100K offer.

You should be able to get 2 Citi Hilton Reserve cards if you apply at the same time or 1 after the other, provided it has been at least 65 days since your last Citi applications. You also can't get more than 2 Citi personal cards within 65 days.

I'd suggest the Chase United Explorer with the 65K bonus (actually 50K after spending $1K & 5K for adding a user) as a better alternative to the Sapphire. I suspect the Sapphire bonus will remain where it is, but the United offer likely isn't going to be around forever. It is 50K United miles for a 1-way award to Europe.

Sounds like you'll do another round of applications later, and you can pick up the Sapphire Preferred then.

I'd pair the United Explorer with a Chase business card - Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Bold for 50K extra Ultimate Reward points. If you transfer these to United, you've got 1 business return award from Europe on United (between the United Explorer and Chase Ink Bold/Plus).

Good luck!

rodeojones likes this.
  6. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great point Darius what one caveat. I made a mistake...I meant 2 premier cards with 50k bonus each, not the new 2x card...

7. kdw038

kdw038 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've learned flexibility of points is huge. Topping off some miles with SPG card or UR points is nice when your so close to a award redemption. As far as your Europe trip, don't forget to add the free one-way. That will get you a little closer to your next trip.

8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never figured out how to do the free one way.

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're traveling overseas, pick one with no international fees!

11. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have any United points yet or I would jump on the 65K offer. Hopefully a couple of the Facebook/Netflix promotions I took part in recently actually post to my account.

12. fr33b13

fr33b13 Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if those Premier cards are churnable?

13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are, but looks like the 50K offer is not working now. Perhaps it will come back soon!

14. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good thing the wife and I applied last week :)