New Amex Sync offers, including $5 off $5 on iTunes

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Apr 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time to check your Amex Sync offers, and don't forget you can open multiple tabs, one for each card linked to this login, each with the offers page open, in order to sync this offer to all of your cards.

Often there's a way to sync the offer to your card even if it isn't in your offers but I'm not seeing a twitter hashtag in this case and I don't see the offer on the Facebook Amex Sync app so maybe not.

Anyway, a quick and easy way to save $5 x N.

rwoman and iolaire like this.
  2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking the obvious way to use this is to go through a portal for 2X or 3X then when it launches iTunes click on the Send iTunes Gifts and send $5 exactly to an email address you own. I presume you'll then get an email with a redeemable code that you can file against iTunes for a future purchase. Looks like I've managed to get 10 copies of this so $50 free? Plus of course 100 or 150 miles for nothing. Course a lot of work what with all the changing the credit card in iTunes over and over again.

I think I'm going to do one test purchase through a portal to see if it posts propertly given the T&C's of the offer suggesting that might not work. The offer lasts until 4/30 so you've got time.

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    not seeing the offer on any of my amex cards, open or not.

-David

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    This offer actually was first offered a month or more ago. It didn't show up in my account until yesterday. So, it may still show up in your account.....
    Also, two other new offers include $10 off a $50 purchase at Lowe's and $5 off a $30 gasoline purchase at BP. The latter two offers are available via twitter.

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up last month, but I don't have anything to spend $5 on. The gift card idea might be best.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking the gift card idea is a little complicated, but might be worth doing. Depends how you value your time I guess. Change the credit card on iTunes. Every 3rd time you end up having to call Apple to take the fraud prevention off. iTunes bunches up their orders to avoid spending too much on fees, so you may have to wait a day between orders, e.g. until you get the email from iTunes about the $5 payment. Or something like that. I'll probably work through it just for the hell of it but it might not be worth your time.

For the Lowe's credit remember that they have a lot of physical gift cards in store, like gas cards and Amazon and stuff that will trigger this. Course whether you want to spend $50 x N for gas or Amazon to get 16% off a future purchase...

7. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I spent w-a-y too much time on this one. Added it to a LOT of cards. The open multiple tabs trick is easy enough, but I also created twitter accounts and and and. Anyway, after changing my credit card 5 times in a month, I got an error trying to change it again and spent like 40 minutes on the phone with Apple people who'd never heard of the error (can't change the credit card because you've had too many credit cards associated with your account). They appear to not know any way to get around the problem and just suggested I wait till 30 days is up. But of course the offer will be expired by then. So anyway, you might find you have a hard limit of 5 x $5 back off 5 x $10 eGifts for future use. I saw somebody else post that suggested they were able to get their tech support person to work around it, but my two certainly couldn't. Oh well, on to the next thing.

iolaire likes this.
  8. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hm, I tried to do that, but it tells me that the minimum amount for a gift card is $10. What am I missing?

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, left that part out. Yes you have to buy a $10 gift card so you'll be putting in some of your own money. $5 of their money, $5 of yours. If you don't spend any money to speak of on iTunes normally this won't work out for you. In my case I pick up Disney movies for the kiddo with some regularity so no biggie, basically half off for a period of time. Looks like the thing doesn't expire till the end of May (thought it was April for some reason) so I may take another shot with the remaining credit cards.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, although excluded by the T&C's, I got miles for each of these purchases from the AAdvantage Mall. 30 miles for each $10 purchase with $5.00 refunded from Amex. So a pretty good deal all said and done, though trivial in context.

iolaire likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ended up buying some music compilation just to use the credit.

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was last month, I like the OK, and INK for 5X...for I Tunes, all the time...