New AMEX Starwood spend limit

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Mrlasssen, Sep 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had any experience with monthly reoccurring bills be billed to your Starwood credit card? This could help meet the spend requirement and continue to earn points. If so what fees are involved if any, and do the charges count toward the spend limit?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have plenty recurring bills that hit my credit cards. Most merchants don't charge a premium for this. Phone, cell phone, cable bills are all easy ones.

boondr and marcwint55 like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consumer telecom is a cesspool of deceit. If you do brave automated payments, I would strongly recommend regular reviews of your invoices.

flyforawg, boondr and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

All charges will count toward the spend limit, however if you spend close to the limit and payment frequency is regular and on time, it should be no problem having them raise your credit limit.

As M7VO stated, you should look at your charges on a regular basis. I seldom go more than four days without reviewing all credit card charges.

MX likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I always recommend people look over their charges frequently. That being said, the vast majority of our VZW bill is flat-fee very large data pools that don't fluctuate. So, bill moves in a pretty right margin.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    This.
    If you're running a large amount of your monthly budget through credit cards, then you should really be keeping a close eye on those accounts that you're frequently using. As you know, this hobby requires discipline, and I think a necessary aspect of that discipline consists of watching your accounts like a hawk. One can easily extend that behavior into doing regular scans of bank accounts, investments, recurring bill accounts, and the like.

7. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes this hobby keeps me busy and free travel is not free, just affordable. You have to stay on top of it and put out some money to receive the awards.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1!

I would extend that warning to keeping regular surveillance on all open accounts. When I set up the automatic alerts for a new credit card last week, I accidentally left the "large transaction" alert amount at $10. Now, I'm going to review my inactive accounts to see whether I can set low amounts for all of them, and focus my personal reviews mostly on the active accounts.

marcwint55 and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You know, I kinda like the idea of lowering the alert limit to $10 and getting everything pushed to me. As it is, I login frequently to check my transactions. Thanks for the suggestion!

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. craigmargolies

craigmargolies New Member

Status Points:
    I always have alerts for minimum charges hit the card I have bill pays on!