New airline seats provide individual climate control

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.gizmag.com/climate-control-seats/23976/
    [​IMG]

These days, jet air travel is less of a glamorous Don Draper adventure and often more of a tedious ordeal. The cabin air doesn’t help as passengers suffer sinus troubles and can’t stay warm or cool enough for comfort. At the ILA Berlin Air Show running September 11 - 16, the Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics (IBP) will reveal to the public a new airline seat that provides air passengers with individual climate control that may make even traveling coach a bit more pleasant.

Commercial airliners operate at about 35,000 feet (10,000 m). At that altitude, the plane’s cabin needs to be pressurized not just to keep the passengers comfortable, but to keep them alive. This is done by bleeding compressed air from the jet engines, cooling it and then feeding it into the cabin. It works, but because the fuselage of a passenger plane isn’t very strong, the pressure is kept at the equivalent of an altitude of about 8,000 feet (2,400 m). Although the newest airliners have pressure equivalent to 6,000 feet (1,800 m).

Read More: http://www.gizmag.com/climate-control-seats/23976/

2. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the boiling plane ride I experienced with Asiana Airlines recently, that seat would be a gift from heaven. Set mine to freezing and watch me smile. :cool:

mikew99 and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had the same thought after a cabin sizzle. Now, how much will the fee be to operate these? :(

4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love these as I'm always hotter than most, especially during air travel.