New airline fees aim to make travel more enjoyable for passengers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/new_airlines_fees_aim_to_make.html

Airlines are introducing a new bevy of fees, but this time passengers might actually like them.
    Unlike the first generation of charges which dinged fliers for once-free services like checking a bag, these new fees promise a taste of the good life, or at least a more civil flight.

Extra legroom, early boarding and access to quiet lounges were just the beginning. Airlines are now renting Apple iPads preloaded with movies, selling hot first class meals in coach and letting passengers pay to have an empty seat next to them. Once on the ground, they can skip baggage claim, having their luggage delivered directly to their home or office.

In the near future, airlines plan to go one step further, using massive amounts of personal data to customize new offers for each flier.

"We've moved from takeaways to enhancements," says John F. Thomas of L.E.K. Consulting. "It's all about personalizing the travel experience."

Read More: http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2013/09/new_airlines_fees_aim_to_make.html

8MiHi and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how many people want to "spend, spend, spend" to have a great experience? Meanwhile every flyer wants a comfortable flight, economy / business / first, I presume, not everyone, nor the majority wants always pay to "enhance" their flights. We at least, would still expect a comfortable experience, even when choosing not to pay extra.

8MiHi, guinnessxyz and sobore like this.
  3. bachelorarbeit

bachelorarbeit Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. The majority doesn't expect much comfort when flying Y. At least since airlines began to introduce premium economy, expectations lowered, didn't they? Also I expect service standards in Y to lower further as long as flying continues to be a mass-product, which it obviously will. The times when flying was comfortable are over. At least in Y. For those who want to separate from the majority and want to fly comfortably there are these extra services or upper classes.

8MiHi and guinnessxyz like this.
  4. Right on. Flying is now a basic commodity in reality. The airlines need to cram more people into the same space in order to make money in a very competitive business which surprisingly has a low barrier to entry.

5. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for you information.. :)

6. Great news. Thank you for the sharing...

bez7 likes this.
  7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been waiting for a happy fee, sounds like they're finally here! Now if I can just pay a 'pat down' fee I'll be all set!

8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Grace L Ferguson Airline and massage parlor?:rolleyes:

bez7 likes this.
  9. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lol, thought the thread title was a typo...

bez7 likes this.