New airfare rules start this week

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/New-airfare-rules-start-this-week/-/1735978/8484992/-/dasf4x/-/

January 26 is the start of a new era in air travel.

On Thursday, Airlines will no longer be allowed to advertise prices without showing all of the fees.

New rules from the U.S. Transportation Department will require that advertised prices include taxes and mandatory fees.

Currently, airlines just have to note that other charges apply, and provide a link or footnote to the details.
    The new rules will make fares easier to understand.

Government and airport charges can add 20 percent or more to the price of an airline ticket.
    Airlines protest that other industries don't have to include taxes in advertised prices. And they worry about the effect on ticket sales.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/New-airfare-rules-start-this-week/-/1735978/8484992/-/dasf4x/-/

2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A step in the right direction- although they should be allowed to break out the taxes and fees- this being said lumping in a "fuel surcharge" with taxes and fees is hardly fair play.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

And I wonder how many people that don't know about this will actually be surprised by the sudden (perceived) jump in fares. No doubt this might affect travel negatively as people "wait" for the fares to go down... but who knows, maybe it will trigger some interesting fare wars between the carriers, and we all love that. :)

But I can imagine someone looking around a few weeks ago and seeing relatively low fares and now seeing them at 10-20% higher. International destinations with high taxes / YQ will probably shock some people for sure...

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    <FINGERS CROSSED>

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  5. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might accept this argument except for the highly variable nature of airfare taxes and fees. If I walk into Best Buy I know that everything in the store will include a certain percentage sales tax depending on what locality I'm in. If I walk into the HH Gregg next door, the same exact sales tax will also apply to everything in the store. Booking airfare, however, does not present the same result. The taxes and fees can vary wildly depending on the route that is required, even if the base fare is the same on competing airlines.

Oh, and I guess they're completely forgetting that there ARE certain venders that have to show all-in pricing to customers. The easy one I can think of is gasoline purchases.

Scottrick likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The nicest thing about visiting Europe is that all the taxes are included and no one deals with stupid pennies. The prices may be high, but they are clear.

7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about changing:

Cheap Fares to Caribbean $175! :D*click*

$175- based on one-way fare.:mad:

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone at Jetblue (not to mention "king of all add-on charges" Spirit) will undoubtedly have a conniption over this. Even now you can go to Jetblue's page and see their deals to BDA "for $99" out of JFK. When you price it it's actually $300 per person ($99 each way + $100 in taxes and fees).

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheap Fares to Caribbean $175! :D*click*

$175- based on paddle boat. :eek:

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    and sure enough the latest emails from AA do include higher fares than usual, but they all say "taxes included" next to the price.

Not sure if the previous emails from AFWD included taxes but I've noticed now that they mention that as well, along with slightly higher prices to all destinations.

Guess the era of taxes included is upon us. :)