New Aeroplan Redemption Policy?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Apr 11, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently tried to obtain a ticket for my spouse on points and was given a notice that I had to be one of the travellers on the itinerary. Which was impossible, as it was for one ticket for my spouse.

Perhaps this has to do with the fact that I was trying to use a priority redemption, though this worked last fall.

Is this a change to policy?

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, were it possible to not-like your report, I surely would. I was planning to try exactly the same manouevre today (J reward seat for Darling Spouse) and now wonder just what shall happen when I make that attempt.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  3. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Inquiring minds want to know - what was the outcome?

My guess is no policy change but may have been an uninformed AE rep - enhanced likelihood if YULtide's spouse has a different last name, which would lead to incorrect assumption that said person is not a family member in which case you do have to be flying at least one segment with the non-family person in J.

YULtide likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two IT errors, ending my session, followed by two dropped telephone calls. I gave up.

Shall just buy a set of J tickets and call it a day.

YULtide likes this.
  5. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very sound strategy on AC's part - crappy IT on AE site forces pax to buy a revenue J ticket instead.

mevlannen, londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last fall I managed this twice booking online. First time Mrs Y (who does have a different surname) was looking to attend a funeral that I couldn't manage. As an E35K she was offered a seat in Y for 100,000 miles. I checked and was offered J for 50,000 miles. A no-brainer so I booked it, and she had a great trip.

The second time we were planning a weekend away and I noticed that J was about twice the price of Flex tickets. So I booked Mrs Y in J using my miles and booked a paid J ticket for myself, thus pushing the spend all over to me so I'd maximize the AQD to maintain status.

Both cases there was no problem booking a single ticket for Mrs Y.

This time, I was trying the same thing and got a message saying I had to be one of the passengers on the itinerary. The site wouldn't let me complete the booking for Mrs Y. We've made alternative arrangements.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  7. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think its a change in policy as I have been subjected to that in the past as well. As a SE though I can call in and get the flight arranged for normal points. I have not seen that in recent attempts, and there have been several, to get bookings for my wife who has the same last name. One thing I have done in the past, when I am travelling with my spouse is to buy my ticket first and tell AE I am already booked. This seems to work for getting the flight I want on AE.
    Another fact to consider is that AC is working hard on selling J seats with paid upgrades and seriously discounted J to attract US based travellers. I am seeing more and more US bound pax on my return flights from Asia and Europe because I can see how many pax take the US landing card vs the Canadian one.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Londoncalling, you may have nailed it.

As to my thus-far unspent AE points, am thinking that all of the grandchildren might get toasters as birthday gifts, this year. Good old Toasterplan....

londoncalling, YULtide and The Lev like this.
  9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Lev -- this is not (alas and alack!) the first time I have given up in frustration. Now I have the added twist of the proverbial knife, in that as a mere lowly Toaster25K member, I no longer enjoy any sort of priority in 'rewards' access.

However, since very few people seem to want toasters any more, I should see no points-inflation striking there.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  10. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your plans for luxury travel are toast. :D

11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, I booked a reward flight for my spouse a few weeks ago (using the web site) without any problems. (I'm flying on a revenue ticket on the same itinerary.)

londoncalling, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  12. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have booked a few reward flights for my wife recently with no issues. Had to check the priority booking box one or two times was the only issue, if it can be called that.

YULtide likes this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I was so surprised to get the message. It's the only time I've ever seen it and it took me by surprise. Still a mystery why it came up.

14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what other 'interesting' changes are in store for us, anent Aeroplan redemptions?

YULtide likes this.