New AAdvantage Platinum Pro Level

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by slalom, Jun 6, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and lisamcgu like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ultimately, I don't think they'll take anything away from Plats. I just think they created a level because they felt compelled to match the competition. Everyone has their own priorities, but I don't see much difference in the benefits between United's Gold and Plat level. Don't see much difference here with AA either. I think it's just a way to keep these 75K fliers a bit more engaged once they pass 50K on an annual basis.

Newscience likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    > Everyone has their own priorities, but I don't see much difference
    > in the benefits between United's Gold and Plat level.

The fee waiver (change/redeposit) for plats can be quite valuable. As a gold and former 1K I miss that.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    And no SWUs for Platinum Pro we can assume.

Newscience likes this.
  5. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PPs at least get CPUs on all domestic flights just like EXPs do now. No stickers required. But thy don't get SWUs. It's a good way of drawing a line tom distinguish between the two levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newscience, Seat6A and Gtitan like this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways had the four elite tiers, and I was
    kind of wondering when the AA system would
    catch up.

Newscience likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

They did take away from lifetime platinums as the status is now third tier instead of second.

Newscience, zphelj and brodyf like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick, someone copy/paste all those discussions about that MM "tier drop" from the UA forum into the AA forum.

Newscience likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but you can earn the higher status with million miler status on UA, but NOT on AA!

Newscience and marcwint55 like this.
  10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd that they won't be giving it out for 2017 qualification (only if it is earned before the end of 2017 but not if you earned 75K EQMs this year. I always felt US's 75K elites were punished with the merger and this tier should have been introduced last year for this year's program. Suppose it could be considered ExecPlat lite. While they will get unlimited comp upgrades within NAmerica, they don't earn 500s. Suppose earning this status through next year will give them some to bank for companions, but they'd still need to use them during 2017 if they want to upgrade. Not sure with all the ExecPlats that many of these upgrades will clear, but suppose it does separate the 50/70K Plats from the 75/95K Plats for upgrade priority.

Newscience likes this.
  11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which means something more than just lower status, as I understand it, it also means another tier getting a crack at upgrades before you get your turn.

Newscience and marcwint55 like this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This plus the revenue component for upgrade tiebreakers puts a serious hurting on LT Plats.

Actually, given the changes they made to employee flying privileges (prioritizing current employees over retirees) was a good pre-indicator.

Newscience likes this.
  13. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they will make a Lifetime Plt pro level at 3MM? That would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizzaman and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's face the new reality, as far as AA travel benefits are concerned for many:
    "Gold" is now "Silver", "Platinum" is the new "Gold", "Platinum Pro" is actually "Platinum", and "ExPlat" is where you want to be, but can no longer afford! ;)

Betty Boop and Counsellor like this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    With the minimum spend for EXP and 1K where they are, I'm HOPING I don't have enough travel to complete both next year. Since partner travel doesn't earn PQMs with United, I'm likely to fall short next year unless I made them my dominant primary carrier. If I went that route I'm not even sure I could keep Plat Pro on AA.

Feels like I'm 4 months from a decision with no apparent upcoming catalysts.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    PM, I think you hit the nail on the head with describing the changes at AA, and the reasons behind them, with your PIM posts, including this one:
    http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.c...airlines-rolling-bunch-semi-expected-changes/

Many of the changes at AA are far from customer-friendly, and following the leads of UA and DL. There's simply not a good reason left for me to have brand loyalty, in the absence of business travel. Domestic airfares are almost always better priced on WN, particularly if you book early, and you won't get whacked with a $200+ change fee if you need to reschedule your flight.

My current goal is to use accumulated AA and UA miles up, and to pay cash for most all future flights. If you can book smartly, cash is almost always a better deal than using miles for most travel. And the folks having earned "lifetime gold status" with AA now have the equivalent of "lifetime silver". Why should anyone pay an out-of-pocket premium for brand loyalty?

Pizzaman, Betty Boop and Counsellor like this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    slalom and Pizzaman like this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are certainly arguments for brand loyalty, though they're much thinner given the current model.

My guess is that when the airlines hit the next rough patch loyalty will no longer be a driver to fill planes, thus they'll need to increase elite benefits/mileage rebate to attract customers.

This is similar to the hotel loyalty programs. They have very rewarding promos when it's tough to fill rooms, lukewarm promos during the good times (like now).

Newscience and slalom like this.