New AA Facebook Contest

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enter to win here.

To celebrate our new Airbus A321 Transcontinental planes, we’d like to get 321,000 new Likes.

Here’s where it gets interesting. With every minute that passes, 100 miles from our prize pool will vanish—until we reach our goal of 321,000 Likes. Once we do, we’ll stop the counter and award the remaining miles as prizes to lucky travelers. (The prizes are 25,000 miles–good for a U.S. domestic round-trip.)

In other words, the quicker we reach our goal, the more trips are available to be won. Got it?

2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a non facebook user, I don't know why they business don't create these contest on neutral sites where those on Twitter, facebook, Google+, etc. can access. Not everyone uses facebook.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be useful, but it would be terribly difficult for them to manage. Pretty much "everyone" that they care about is on Facebook / twitter / Google+ or a combination of the three. And if not, then chances are that they're willing to sacrifice your eyeballs for the ease of managing something this large.

Just ask the bloggers that have switched to the widgets to manage contest entries... at some point it just gets ridiculous to run random.org queries based on multiple sources, and you'd rather just click on a button and get a result. Not to mention that using this gives you instant analytics that show you what you really care about -- where your target audience is and who they are. :)

If you were to run a contest on a "neutral" site you'd have to manage sign-ups, confirmation emails / registration to weed out the spammers, referrals, the contest itself, etc. Then you have to pour through the registrations to find out who these people are -- which is what you really want, because you didn't really want to just give something out for free, did you? :)

The analytics software that runs these "apps" used as contests takes care of all that for them... even if you're not truthful or thorough in your profile, chances are that some/most people are, so the airline can take a look and say a lot of the people looking at their news feed are from a specific demographic, have a specific income / set of interests, etc.

4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um, why can't they building it into their existing website? That's what I mean by "neutral"

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because they would then have to manage it? :)

Seriously though, it's like I always tell people... companies should be about their core business. AA is not a technology company anymore than Citi or 1-800-Flowers. They should worry about flying planes and making sure I earn miles for giving them my business, that's all -- and as you can see from recent events, sometimes they have problems just managing that. :)

When it comes to websites, contests and things of the sort, I'd rather they let someone else take care of that. And of course that probably means using someone else's proprietary platform, rather than integrating this into their site.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though... a lot of loyalty programs out there (especially from hotels like Hilton) run contests and promos on their own site, but that's resource intensive. If you can give someone $10k (or whatever) and the outline for a promo and just let them run with it, it's probably better than tying up your own IT resources.