New AA Catering Options Rolling Out

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some look good. Looks like the size of the Snack offering is moving to an actual snack vs. a full meal.

New Lunch/Dinners: LINK.

New Snacks: LINK.

Can I just add, rather tongue in cheek, that I love the international focus of some of this food, even though AA doesn't fly to 90% of those countries.... :D

2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, some of those snacks appear to leave considerable square footage (or inchage) unoccupied on the china plates.

There must be some mistake, however, as nowhere in there, meal or snack, do I see the Monte Cristo sandwich. Maybe Eagle will maintain its delicacy, though. We can hope. Or not :)

3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yum, I've got 10 F segments next weekend, all with meals so should get to sample a fair bit of this new menu. Last month's meals were quite good too. Now I just hope AA is improving the red wine offering in F.

4. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on an AUS-ORD flight Wednesday with the bean dip and wrap as options. The FAs actually called in to complain to catering that they didn't receive the food because they couldn't believe that the bean dip container ( same size ramekin as the nuts) could possibly be the meal. They were nearly too embarrassed to serve it, resorting to apologizing profusely for the 'sample' of bean dip.

The 'wrap' is a total of four small bites of wrap and a small bag of pita chips.

I was less than impressed for a 2.5 hour flight over what to me is a traditional meal time (11:15-1:45).

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is distressing to read. As bad as the red-eyes Hawaii - California that for some time gave a watery bowl of soup, no other option, as the first-class food on a five-hour flight. (Now replaced by a more substantial but less than luscious mini pizza on last trip.) If one is elite, why dig the extra for first rather than just book an exit-row in Y, get the leg room that way, and save big-time?

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd posit that many people choose to fly F on a red eye for the seat vs. for the food. Though this is a tougher argument with the 757.

7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, maybe they choose F for another reason: AFAIK, no 757 F seats have become unsecured to the floor, lol.

John777 likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but if they do become unsecured underneath your butt, you can probably negotiate some compensation ("OMG, I almost crashed..."). And I suspect F gets diverted together with the shifting economy cabin ;)

Back to food: don't know about AA, but for me the redeyes on UA from Hawaii to California are just too short to care about food. I am trying to "maximize" sleep so I can get back to work without looking like a complete zombie the next morning.

Looking through the photos, the meals do look quite nice to me. Kind of like the burger photos in fast food advertisements, and the real thing that's plomped down on the tray then resembles a wrapped up road-kill item.

estnet likes this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Diversion? On a Hawaii - Calif. flight? Back to HNL, yes, but other than that, rotsa ruck :)

Now, as for eating rather than sleeping, I envy you. Would if I could but have never been able to more than catnap on planes, up to. And including the 763 with angled flat F seats. Never had the opp to try more ritzy seats than that, however.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yeah, I should really put sleeping in " ". Most of the time it's dreadful. A couple weekends ago, I actually did sleep reasonably well... until, one hour before arrival at SFO, the FA shook me (despite my eye shades) to ask if I wanted a warm cookie. :mad:

11. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please don't leave us in such suspense! Did you take the bleedin' cookie or not? :)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was one of my proudest travel moments, because I managed to politely say "No thank you" without any noticeable rage.

estnet likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is 3+ hours is a mean, < 3 hours is a snack. It seems AA has downsized the snack.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well let's admit it - the "snack" was a meal, not a snack. AA seems to be making the offering in line with the intent/title, however it's difficult to move backwards on this type of offering and not expect some backlash from your customers.

Skye1 and harry0233 like this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite clueless on her part...one would certainly be aroused from sleep by the smell, so be quite alert to the fact you wanted or did not want a mid-flight cookie. Something to look forward to next Sunday overnight on my KOA-LAX flight in F.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For my next red-eye back from Hawaii in December I'll prepare a sign I can hang around my neck. It will read:

Please DO NOT wake me up for cookies.

Please Do keep my water glass filled!

kansaskeith likes this.
  17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, just tell her to beam the cookie over to Keith on AA, who is also booked on a December red eye out of the islands. Tell her you are sure he won't be sleeping, and that he has promised to keep the cookie crumbs away from the seat floor latches on the 757, lol.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll print off this thread and hand it to the lead FA when I settle into my seat. ;)

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The link for the lunches/dinners doesn't seem to be working, does anyone have a different link or perhaps saved it and can upload?

I had the snack DCA-ORD on Thursday, I chose the dip not realizing how small it was but for a 612 mile flight it was fine and kept me going until I made it to Chicago. I just avoided the sour cream, though.

20. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the October file was deleted when the November one was uploaded.

Lunches & Dinners: http://i.imgur.com/Ayx4r.jpg

Snacks: http://i.imgur.com/gQDUo.jpg

Edit: Those got converted to JPGs so quite a bit of zooming will be required :) The original PDF is available in the google cache.

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks!

22. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a mixed feeling about this. while the new menu options are a welcome change, the tiny snack is a downgrade. BOB options look better. Can I trade the snack for BOB items?

23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have read before -- too lazy to surf it right now -- that the answer to this is quite often "no" because the F/As have to account for their inventory with charges to match, and BOB is a whole different animal than free F/C food. What I can't remember is if the discussions I was reading were AA per se. Even if they were about AA, of course, YMMV -- you might get a F/A who takes pity on you, or who knows somebody in coach who might to buy a BOB item and trade you for bean dip (yeah, right!), etc.

Another possibilty would be the F/A might SELL you a BOB item, which I doubt is what you had in mind.

Until someone else posts he or she knows otherwise, however, I think I have read that the general answer to your question is "no."

24. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA EXP get free items in coach, it may well be the case that I downgrade myself (assuming I have an exit row seat)

25. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would be surprised if any of the F 'snack' flights have the BOB 'meals'