New AA Boarding Procedure

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, May 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A new boarding procedure was announced for flight 2207 (SDF-DFW). For those traveling "light" meaning one carry on that fits under the seat, you can board ahead of group 2. The GA said they just started this today.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They actually announced they'd start testing this procedure back in March: http://m.today.com/travel/american-...nt-rewards-fliers-without-carry-ons-1C9010018

Guess we will see if it sticks or not!

garyst16 likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    but why bother making your self any more uncomfortable than you have to -- if you're traveling that light -- why not just wait?

<lol>

DTWBOB

basiface and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aye, there's the rub.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA announced a change to their boarding process today. The new process is:

1. First/Business
    2. AAdvantage/Oneworld Elite
    3. PriorityAccess/Group 1 (including those who purchased this as an add-on)
    4. Persons traveling with no carryon or a carryon that fits under the seat in front of them
    5. Group 2-6
    This should be fun to watch in terms of determining who only has one "small" carryon, who wants to argue about the size of their carryon, and who in Group 2 wants to argue about all the Group 3-6 people boarding ahead of them, etc.

I'm guessing this helps solve the problem of people waiting in the aisles... now you'll get some of the 2-6 people who don't need overhead space out of the way earlier.

Note that the first three boarding groups will still be using overhead space and that you can buy Group 1/Priority Access, so this is a de facto charge for guaranteed overhead space (assuming the whole plane doesn't buy Group 1/PA). Want overhead space? Buy PA. Should be interesting to watch on tourist flights over the summer, that's for sure!

skyvan likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Today? This started testing in March and AA announced last week it was officially the new boarding procedure. ;) I think we have two other threads on this subject.

rwoman and Aktchi like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I feel stupid. Looked at the first page and saw nothing there... and completely missed the date on the press release! This mirrors my week - my brain is not working.

Aktchi and DestinationDavid like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Go home to your wife and enjoy your weekend and get "recombobulated". :)

10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXP is still with F, right? Unclear in the order above.

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    How will they keep the people with underseat carryons from putting them in the overheads???

Max M and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw it in practice for 2 AA flights flown on 5/16, and one on 5/17, but apparently American Eagle in MIA on 5/18 didn't get the memo--- same boarding process on Eagle as pre-AA's new announcement, and just as chaotic as ever with Eagle. :)

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's gate staff usually tends to innovate its own boarding procedure, different ones at different gates, so I'll just try to pay attention to what is going on there.

However, I am confused on one issue. I thought the whole idea behind early boarding was to offer bin space to favored customers, and that's what attracted those pax to board early. If so, why would early boarding be attractive to those pax who don't need to use the bins?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is aimed at customers wanting to board early, I think this is aimed at discouraging overhead use if not necessary, and speeding up boarding by getting those who won't clog the aisles while stowing such baggage out of the way.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

I don't think AA mainline policies always apply to Eagle, especially considering how many different companies actually fly Eagle routes: ExpressJet, Republic, SkyWest, Chautauqua/American Connection.

Max M likes this.
  16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand why AA wants this: They helped create the carry-on problem by instituting checked-bag fees. Now, they want to pocket the fees and solve the problem by shuffling pax around. :)

However, what's the incentive for the pax to cooperate? People with big carry-ons try to board early for bin space: they leave lounges early, act like gate lice, and rush forward without finishing their food/drink at the first suspicion that their group may be called. If my seat is reserved and I don't need bin space, why would I rush to board ahead of others, instead of waiting till the crowd has thinned out?

After creating the carry-on problem and bin space shortage, airlines have acted as if boarding early is an elite privilege. In real life, real elites think differently. The President is not the first to board Air Force One but always the last.

flyforawg and DestinationDavid like this.
  17. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    UACO has a bunch of companies flying for United Express, but in many cases, they seem to follow boarding procedures that UACO mainline has established. UACO seems to do a better job enforcing/having boarding orders for United than American does with American Eagle/American Connection

Granted, comparing UACO to AA is comparing apples to oranges, but having a multitude of carriers for the mainline's regional providers shouldn't be the reason that boarding orders aren't followed.

I realize MQ and AA are separate, but it would make sense for their boarding procedures to conform with both airlines.

Obviously AA being cashless for Buy-on-Board, and MQ still requiring cash for BOB purchases, prove that there are indeed separate policies for the 2 carriers.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I fly a lot of MQ flights being ORD based and hopping around the Midwest. I really haven't seen much variation of the boarding procedure there from mainline. YMMV obviously, but it's a non-issue for me.

20. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that MQ flights *out* of ORD I too haven't seen much variation of boarding procedure.

However, having flown numerous MQ flights out of airports such as RST, MLI, CID, etc. going to ORD, MQ's boarding order is a joke out of these stations [many of which use other airlines employees].

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even returning to ORD I've had few issues.