New 777-300ER

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AnthonyB1609, Mar 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the new 777 flying yet? I looked on the website to see releases date didn't see one so I thought maybe it's already being used.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eloy Fonseca Neto and sobore like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It was originally LHR then updated to GRU. Now another one of the new PR releases about the 777 simply states that GRU and LHR are slated to be the first two destinations, so there's a bit of ping pong decision making it seems: LINK.

kyunbit, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does not seem to be change in plans so much as movement in the delivery dates for the aircraft. I suspect they intend to begin both almost the same time if they get the aircraft. DFW-GRU is one of the longest routes that can have daily service with a single aircraft and still have time left for servicing. LHR is the more prestigious route and more competitive too, but also one that can be well served with BA cooperation.

It seems they're just beginning to recognize how attractive this aircraft will be for them.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree, though which will be the official first route still seems a bit muddled now. I'm more likely to fly to LHR then GRU. In fact I've only been to South America once, and it as to EZE on MX, not AA. :eek::)

6. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they'll be re-routing the ORD-DEL birds to the Latin America routes?

CharlesG and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brazil Rocks!!! All 777s should be going to Brazil! :D

8. AnthonyB1609

Status Points:
    That bums me out. I planing my vacation around this new aircraft. But I can't wait all the way till Dec. I was hoping it would be around July-Sep for a release date. Well I guess I will keep waiting for more news on this.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

CharlesG likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can certainly see planning around an inaugural flight or to test out a new aircraft. I looked into the inaugural JL BOS-NRT flight on the 787 for awhile, though I opted not to go on it. Too many things can go wrong though - delayed delivery date, MX, WX, rerouting due to connection delays, etc. Plan carefully. :)

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily, the 777-300ER is a very mature proven product so deliveries are fairly routine and the type is quite compatible with the other 777's AA operates anyway. As inaugurals go this should be smooth. I recall one for a PanAm A300 which was not delivered because the financing fell though even though the invitees were already at le Bourget at Pan Am expense. Nice trip to the Paris Airshow anyway.

CharlesG likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just saw a report that the first two -300ER are to be delivered now within days of each other. Thus it seems likely they'll be trying to launch both LHR and GRU simultaneously. They do keep adding new orders for this airplane ( is it still 9 now?), so it would not be surprising to see them add another few during the rest of 2012 as they're getting more success in several very long range flights, especially since both Qantas and Japan Airlines are retrenching.

CharlesG likes this.
  12. AnthonyB1609

Status Points:
    My question is why tell us a year out. Why not wait for six months and say its coming soon....

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather know and have something to look forward to, to be honest.

jbcarioca and CharlesG like this.
  14. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was hoping it would be ready earlier in the year as well, but I'm sure I'll be able to check it out to LHR sometime in 2013.

jbcarioca likes this.