New 737-900: drop-down overhead bins, but no entertainment and no working power

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by traveltoomuch, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just finished two flights on a shiny new 737-900.

The standout cool thing: the bins drop down, much like those on a 777. My overlong rollaboard fit easily.

The standout bad thing: no entertainment system at all, and I was on a long transcon. And despite have 120VAC outlets, they were not working.

Lots of interesting changes in the cabin. The cabin lighting is color-changing LEDs -- they were light blue most of the time. The over-seat passenger service unit is all-new, with movable lights and new gaspers which are much, much quieter than anything else I've seen.

The first class seats are of a new design: they're dark blue leather (like CO's old seat) and a curved back (like UA's). The headrest is mounted higher than on UA, which makes it much more comfortable when lowered. Five rows of first, with a mid-cabin lavatory separating the cabins.

All-in-all, it's a lovely plane, but the lack of entertainment and power was annoying on a transcon.

8MiHi likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The power and IFE are not line-installed items so the planes are delivered from Boeing without those features. Some planes go directly to MCO to get the kit installed and some fly around for a few days/weeks before the installation happens.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the lighting is part of what's called Boeing Sky Interior (so are the new interior bins). AS and some other carriers in the US are using it and the lights can change to adapt to what is going on outside like dusk, sunset, darkness, etc. They are a lot more energy efficient than the old lights that used to be used.

-RM

8MiHi likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA also has Sky Interior on their new 737s. All new 777s and 787s are being delivered with it as well.

5. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    had the pleasure of experiencing this on a COPA 737 last month. Really cool stuff.

6. chinesescouser

chinesescouser Active Member

Status Points:
    Is UA planning on fitting them with personal IFE?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes. They will have the LiveTV system installed.

LizzyDragon84, 8MiHi and The Boat like this.
  8. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the lack of IFE and power is still fallout from the Koito issues of 2010 and 2011.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is also a possibility. Depends on just how new the plane is.

10. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    And wifi, if I remember correctly.

8MiHi likes this.
  11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. That's not an issue on the 2012 and later 2011 deliveries.

8MiHi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wifi is separate from LiveTV in that the video system exists already and is certified by the FAA. The wifi is coming eventually but JetBlue - parent company of LiveTV who are providing the service - doesn't expect to have that version of the wifi service running until early next year. The other wifi provider - Panasonic - will have the first aircraft go in for retrofit next month, I believe, so likely flying before the end of the year but no guarantees.

8MiHi and The Boat like this.
  13. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least the Panasonic system is better than the old Rockwell/Collins system; but as for the timetable for retrofitting, it seems from what I've heard that the 737-800s with the Sky Interior will be pulled from service first, then the 737-900s.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you sit up front in their new BC seats? They are really cool. I particularly like that they are not electric, but they have a ton of adjustments, including a foot rest. The lack of electronics means less chance of malfunction, even if it may be lower on the "cool" scale. I'll take function over style every time.

Copa is a great airline unless you have a problem/issue of any kind. If you have a problem, you just have it. IME, they DO NOT reply to complaints, even if taken up to the CEO level. Very odd to me, as their service is well above average in the airport and in the air as long as things go right. I fly them often, and the problems are (fortunately) rare, but it really rubs me the wrong way when they don't even acknowledge a note to let them know that a problem exists. One in particular is that "Priority" or "Prioridad" luggage tags are always totally ignored at SJO, and all the employees know it. Been that way for years.

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    WiFi cannot come soon enough. I just looked at my calendar, and sure enough... It is 2012! ;)

8MiHi and gamecock like this.
  16. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on the -900 with sky-interior and no IFE not too long ago. I think the issue you ran into is the person working the flight didn't know how to turn on the power. I actually had another fight the same day on the -800 with sky interior and IFE. Both flights someone had to show the flight attendant working up front how to turn it on.

8MiHi likes this.
  17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspected that, also. During my layover I tried to get in touch with an on-board services supervisor, but the Dulles folks did not produce one in a timely fashion. (I had two segments on the same metal, with the same crew. I really wanted to get this one fixed.) Legacy-CO cabin crews have not been making me happy this week.

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although 4 weeks after writing my initial email to Copa's CEO and having followed up with another, I did receive a personal response at 11:10 PM tonight. He was very apologetic for the delayed response, and he addressed my issues professionally and courteously. He redeemed Copa in my eyes, and we'll see if he is able to compensate me somehow for my issues. Just wanted to publicly announce that my previous comments have been adequately addressed.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yes I did! Was very impressed with the new seat, especially since two weeks prior i was stuck on an older 737 on a PM and expected the same. Was super surprised for the better when i boarded the plane to find a comparably ridiculously nice forward cabin.