NeverLost

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by Dreamworks, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rented from Hertz at BTV a few weekends ago and my Camry had their new model of NeverLost. I hated it as much as I hated the old version. The only thing good about NeverLost is that you can get right back to rental return. But it's useless at doing things that all other GPS's do. It's big, and in the way, especially if you have a passenger. Avis actually gives you a Garmin, which I much prefer. It also means that any car can have GPS.

I have a Galaxy Nexus phone and I use that for GPS. I wonder if everyone will use their phone in 2-3 years.

2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree....

I don't know why anyone would want to rent a GPS with a car, or even use one built into a car

I may be a bit old fashioned, but I have a portable Magelleon GPS which I program at home before I go on a trip with all of my important stops etc and then bring it with me. Usually, I've even figured out which restaurants I'll be going to.

Quite often, just before I leave home I'll set it's location to be the airport I'm flying into so that it doesn't think it's somewhere else.

DTWBOB

3. Hertz customers have quite a few great GPS options to choose from. The cool thing I like about Hertz NeverLost is that you can get realtime service anytime at 800-823-2547 for any help or directions. They will also build a trip for you in advance and send it to you in a USB thumb-drive, so you don't need to carry another device with you. They even will allow you to convert a Google My Places trip into a Hertz NeverLost trip in an easy process at http://neverlost.com/Plan/ImportTools. When I am in my home town, I like my Garmin PND or routing on my cell phone. When I go out of town, I like the extra support from the Hertz NeverLost team.

MalcoveMagnesia likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've stopped asking for Neverlost when I rent. My iPad is much more efficient. If it's there, I'll use it. But, it's just last generation technology.

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I dont get is why Hertz puts their own propietary GPS unit in cars that have a built in GPS. Last year I rented a Prestige Collection SUV that had an outstanding GPS system but Hertz had their own Never Lost with a much smaller screen installed in the SUV.... I guess they dont want to have to update the system at dealerships or else I cant get why they would offer you a vehicle with 2 GPS systems, which is what I got.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As you say, it's almost certainly consistency and not having to maintain two systems. Could you imagine having umpteen different systems to provide updates for?

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my guess... still, some of the high end vehicles have native systems that are 20 times better than the Hertz stuff... for longer rentals, I may even try to update the native GPS system myself, most are quite easy to use and have a USB port that you can update though.... or...?

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well, as long as it's a newer vehicle I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I've used the one in the Infiniti QX56 before.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was exactly the SUV I had last year... had lots of fun with the truck, rented it for 18 days and loved it... too bad it was in my least favorite color.... white :mad: (where is the puking smilie when I need it).... :rolleyes:

10. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used Everlost at MIA last year and it could not find the airport Herrz return location.

11. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dislike neverlost -- slow to lock on GPS signal, and doesn't have traffic built in. I just use my iphone or Android phone