NEVER too old to travel... Over 80's are traveling the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AOL.co.uk: Over 80's are traveling the world

I've got a while until I hit 80, but certainly hope I do not have to stop traveling! We did bring our Grandmother to London just before she turned 81. At almost 87, she would like to come back to Europe and go to Paris. :) She's currently recovering from hip surgery last fall, but I do intend to try and work that trip out for her.

The article is referring to age limits on travel insurance, but I think it's still something to consider.

:)

uggboy, Mapsmith, guinnessxyz and 3 others like this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope your grandmother's hip heals quickly. :)

Mapsmith and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    She's doing pretty good. Things have slowed down, not because of her, but because of the PITA of getting additional physical therapy appointments through the insurance company. She's still very spry...hopefully we can have her over in the fall. :)

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, insurance companies are a nightmare when you're trying to get things covered. Hoping it all works out and she can visit you in the fall. :)

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that if there are more seniors traveling nowadays it likely has something to do changing demographics. In another article on the web, seniors advised younger people to not put traveling off till after retirement.
    Sight seeing is often most enjoyed in the company of your spouse. After the death of a spouse, I find it quite normal for a person to develop a more limited interest in travel, and a wish to stay comfortably at home.
    Travel is for young girls like Dorothy; there's no place like home.;)

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. zealenterprises

zealenterprises New Member

Status Points:
    We wish a speedi recovery. Well why dont you make a visit to Sri Lanka next time.

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talking to a customer today about why we were out of maps that show Peru in detail, it came out that we are seeing a run on maps on traditional "Bucket Lists". That is, Peru for Machu Piccu, Australia and New Zealand, Vietnam for Returning to trace where the war was. Paris and London for those who have not been. Rome. Sicily for Italian Americans, Israel and the Holy Land for Pilgrimages. And a whole lot of Eastern US for people who moved to Tucson and want to show their kids where their parents grew up (and probably visit some graves that have not been visited in decades)

So 80 year olds (and those of us a decade or so younger) appear to be starting Bucket lists and traveling.

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not there yet either, though I do worry about it. Travel with elderly relatives a couple of times recently was difficult. Not so much because of physical disabilities -- we just had patience and took our time with those. But the attitudes of some of the elders were disturbing. Kind of a stubborn, depressed "don't care". I hope dearly that as I age I don't turn into more of a curmudgeon than I already am. It doesn't mix with travel.

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. The issue of travel insurance is a major task for some seniors as we now know but other issues arise also. Some, if not all, rental car Companies won't rent to people over 75. That can be a problem if they don't want to get into a tour group.

Mapsmith likes this.
  10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noted....

Mapsmith and guinnessxyz like this.
  11. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years I helped a friend who was badly hearing impaired book his travel tickets, both paid and award. (I would be his voice and ears with various airline call centers.)

Last year I booked an around-the-world award for him and his wife - he was 80 and had been diagnosed with untreatable liver cancer, his wife 79 - in business class using their remaining Delta miles for this itinerary - PBI-ATL-LAX-CAN-AKL-ICN-HKG-ICN-BKK-ICN-NBO-CAI-FCO-BOS-ATL-PBI (Yeah, I know, that's what you end up with using SkyTeam :eek: ) They were gone for around eight weeks.

They made the trip, had a great time, and gave all of us a real schooling in how to flourish, keep traveling, and keep smiling even when things are darkest. He defined the word "intrepid" for me. He passed away a few months ago.

flyforawg, boondr, bigx0 and 2 others like this.
  12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the trip was on his bucket list

13. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was their third RTW in 4 years. Family in Bangkok, other family (diplomatic corps) in Kenya.

guinnessxyz and boondr like this.
  14. tcorbs

tcorbs Active Member

Status Points:
    Travel health insurance is a must for anyone, especially seniors!

guinnessxyz likes this.
  15. Yea but tell that to AMEX. They charge extortionate travel insurance rates for seniors. Many times more than my current provider