Never had to fly in coach Transatlantic till now...777 suggestions?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by stuartfla, Sep 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hard to believe that I have never had SWU that did not clear....until now- for a JFK-LHR flight I booked back in April and put the upg req in then as well. Now a week out and it is J0 and seat map on EF shows a nearly full cabin. Oddly my two favorite EXP agents are saying the SWU will most probably not clear:(

So how bad WILL 31J actually be? and any other tips for flying across the pond in the back? EF is showing most classes in Y on the flight as 7 and seat maps are all showing several rows of center seats completely open - how do the FA in the back work folks trying to move to open rows?

Thanks!

savydog likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do award tickets in economy all the time and ideally I like to be on the last JFK-LHR of the day as I figure I'll sleep better the later the flight, even in coach. As long as I can prop my head up against the window/bulkhead I'm fine. Maybe get a glass of red wine in the FL before departure and have your meal there? Then you can focus on sleeping the whole flight. That's one flight, when upgraded, that I'll do meal on request just so I can get to sleep.

I wouldn't write off the upgrade quite yet. Throw in some bad weather somewhere (like thunderstorms at JFK), and misconnects, and you might have a chance. I got the last seat ORD-DUB last year on a 757 that wasn't looking good, either and I'm still running 100% after 10 years at EXP.

Hope you're not on the daytime flight. I tried that twice after overnights from SFO and will never do that again. On one of those I had an op-up to F but my body clock was so out of whack I really couldn't appreciate it.

I've seen F/As tell passengers to stay in their seats until the doors are closed but don't think that is vigorously enforced. If you're already down to Y7, though, chances are there are passengers with unassigned seats and those blocks in the middle won't be available.

stuartfla and sobore like this.
  3. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    My normal tips (and I'm a traditional down the back flyer)

- Window Seat is pretty much essential (unless you have a weak bladder). It provide a great prop to sleep against.
    - Late flight as possible as on a NYC-LON if you want to maximise rest on a night flight. Bring an eye shade if possible.
    - If your body clock can handle it and your final destination is within London, I'd suggest trying a daylight flight, then getting a night sleep in the hotel afterwards, so you're fresh for the next day.
    - Go easy on the booze.
    - I'd avoid drugs where possible (melatonin/Tylenol PM etc) unless your body

It's entirely possible to sleep upright with no recline (and I do most of the time unless the person in-front of me goes into full recline) and be relativity fresh at the end of the flight.

Just don't push yourself the next day.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't Y7 (or any class) the largest open inventory that AA systems display? In other words, Y7 could mean 7 available seats or 47 available seats.

NYBanker and stuartfla like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I had my Expert Flyer settings showing both UA and AA. AA shows Y7 while UA shows Y9.

stuartfla likes this.
  6. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding as well. Some airlines may show more, but AA never shows more than 7.

stuartfla likes this.
  7. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, 31A and 31J are both window seats and have easy aisle access. For flights where you need to get some sleep, I find that these two are really the best economy seats on the 772.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Those are my 2 favorite Y seats on the 777.

stuartfla and rwoman like this.
  9. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

As you all noticed the back is wide open for this flight while F and J are full - hence all the Y classes are showing ()7 while F and J show 0 for sale. I have 31J but was also eyeing those 7 rows in the middle that are completely open. This would also be my first ever flight in Y across the pond due to either always booking in J on AA (or VA) or getting the eVIP cleared and I, like Tom911, have been 100% on these upgrades for nearly 10 years. This flight is for a non-profit event so booking in J was not an option and my last 4 transatlantic flights have been in F - I am definitely spoiled - thanks to this community!

Anyone know if the one comped Exp drink can be the Pommery which I will use to wash down the extra Ambien?
    This is the next to last flight of the day from JFK (9:05PM) so will definitely eat in the FL if they have the salmon that night and just go right to sleep.

The one ray of light on the upg eventually clearing was a call back from one the EXP agents saying she did not mean to say it probably would not clear but that it was possible and added to check with her at T24.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you have specific EXP agents that you deal with?

11. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no...I actually have had three agents that had provided exceptional service in ongoing complicated situations and had worked with all three on other out of the ordinary issues over the years. With a great deal of temperance, if a issue warrants I will see if one of them is available (all three work at the same location). In this case I was working with two of them to resolve a ongoing and "unique" (their term) ticketing issue from this summer and used the opportunity to ask about this upg.

Having said that, I find the vast majority of EXP agents wiling to provide great service and they have never hesitated to call me back in the infrequent situations where they had an update - I do end every EXP conversation with: "Should anything unforeseen come up on this ______, or more information is needed, here is my mobile number, you never know?". I have no idea if most EXP agents even take the number down but they are always appreciative if not a bit surprised with that added to my thank you! To be fair I'll add that I have also used the "I'm sorry, I got to get of the phone for an emergency" on the rare occasions I get a capability challenged/bad day EXP agent . YMMV

NYBanker likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have been very pleased with exp agents. How do you reach specific agents? Do you simply call the exp line and ask for them by name?

stuartfla likes this.
  13. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep....it helps to know which call center the agent is at, and the time zone;). I have written compliment letters for all three as well given them the applause certificates (when they came out).