Never get a second chance to make a first impression !

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by stuartbb, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi all,
    They say, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" .... and I have to say, my first couple of hours browsing Milepoint and the forums create an excellent first impression. The latest technology, presentation of information, and integration into social networking tools are a paradigm shift ahead of other discussion boards.

... and I'm sure, as one famous person once said "you ain't seen nothing yet" !

I look forward to Milepoint's public launch, growth and success.

2. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I especially like the inclusion of avatars, how incredibly quickly it has become an active, busy source of information - and especially the mysterious allure of chasing status. They know how to hook a frequent flyer!

3. Yes, I 100% agree. Within an hour of posting, I got a couple of likes from others here, immediately felt "at home" as it was consistent with Facebook type experiences, read up on what status points do, and as importantly, emailed several of my friends saying "you gotta take a look at this" ... It's a paradigm shift forwards in discussion board technology and user experience. Oh dear, I have this vision of more hours inexplicably disappearing in front of my PC ;)

travelingmore and magic111 like this.
  4. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your explanations for why you like the site. I've never been a facebook user but have always wanted to know why some found it so enthralling without actually going there. You have given me a better idea for what it is than my adult children have done in repeated explanations

lin821, kiwi and Gargoyle like this.
  5. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    my new mantra: share and share a like....
    Welcome to MP!

magic111 likes this.
  6. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    No FB for me either, so far - enough to read and maintain on the other incoming streams...

7. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do that each and every post I quote. Has me thinking about whether someone will like this or not. What I mean did I make a 1st impression.

travelingmore likes this.
  8. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Big difference though is, that the likes you may get on Facebook does not earn you any status as here, but it directs your friends attention to something you liked. I suppose, just realized while writing this, that it is actually also a kind of status in the form of attention and I suppose it's not too much different from the 'real' status here which basically is also about attention.
    Hmm, guess I changed my argument while I was typing, but I'll post this anyways - who knows, someone might like it [​IMG]

magic111 likes this.
  9. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gave me a belly laugh. For some reason it made me recall the South Park episode about Facebook titled You have 0 Friends

10. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the site, layout and likes though unsure about some of the integration.
    eg. the features I hate most about fb are all the obnoxious games etc.
    I may change my mind if we get some of the integrations that Randy has been talking about.

11. It's interesting to think about how these simple "Likes" change business models ... One of the strengths of Facebook is generally speaking, each member has a network of "friends" which are usually people they know and trust. So, when one friend recommends a restaurant, or a book, or a FF related website, friends on that person's network generally believe the recommendation, and some will go to that restaurant or buy the book, or visit Milepoint instead of the other well know FF related sites, instead. So, even though a "like' seems like a nice to have, it is changing the world people make buying decisions, which is remarkable. Not surprising therefore why so many applications integrate into Facebook. So, thinking the point through more, a "like" in Milepoint seems to be more than just giving someone status points. I think once the volume of content increases following public release, content with substantial "likes" will rise to the surface, as being effectively pre-qualified by independent readers. Add to it, users with lots of status points, besides getting the benefits personally of the different levels, will have credibility with other members .. probably meaning their opinions will be less questioned (or more accepted) by the general reader.

12. Are the integrations documented anywhere?

One noticeable omission seems to be the multiple quote reply feature ... so can post replies to 5 comments in 1 reply.

13. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it done over at another newbie thread titled "How did I miss being an original member." See member Gargoyle's post on page 22 or so. You can probably deconstruct his method by using the "reply" function.

Me, I'm over here in the luddite center....so I can't help you any more than that.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can multiquote by clicking reply on a post (right hand side next to like), scroll up and click reply on another. Rinse and repeat. At the moment multiquote is limited to posts on the same page, unless you manually copy from the new post box before switching to the other page and then paste back into it.

cr34102 likes this.
  15. cr34102
    Original Member

cr34102 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great - thanks!!

16. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I suffered from amnesia you would get a second chance.

17. Aha, Thanks. I remember sitting in on a Guy Kawasaki (ex Apple) presentation years ago. He basically said if you've got something revolutionary, get it out there, and let the world tell you how it should be, rather than waiting, continuing development, aiming for perfection, but potentially missing the window of opportunity. Releasing Milepoint sooner rather than later is a good example of this!