Never been Gold........maybe this year?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tomthbomb, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I need six more segments to reach Gold status. I assume this means in this calendar year?

Next month I have a trip that will add four segments, I think:
    From my regional airport to the international airport to my destination and back the same route. Four segments, right?

To get the last two segments I am willing to fly from my regional airport to the international airport (150 miles), spend the night then fly back. Would that not achieve the last two segments I need? Also I have about 170k AA points/miles from using the AA credit card (same thing?). Is there a way to use points to get the last two segments?

This may be elementary to most of you but I have never gotten this close before. Thanks in advance.

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use the points on your credit card to issue the tickets, those will be an award ticket and will not count for qualifying segments. Unless you have a credit card like Chase that allows you to pay for those tickets.

Tenmoc, edekba and MX like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in the calendar year. Congrats, BTW. Earlier boarding, free checked bags, 500 elite-qualifying mile minimum per flight regardless of actual length, and 25% more redeemable miles as a bonus for every flight (so a minimum of 625 redeemable/award miles).

Any two segments will do. Doesn't have to be international. Just the cheapest round trip you can find from your airport, and doesn't even require an overnight stay. You could fly out at 8AM, back at 10AM and be done with it if the schedule and price allowed.

edekba, Espan and MX like this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's only early October, you got plenty of time. Good luck.

Tenmoc and edekba like this.
  5. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. Guess I should go see what I will get as a Gold member to see if it is worth it.
    Opinions?

Tenmoc likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really depends on how much your 2 last segments will cost & if you deem the benefits worth it.

Mike summed them up pretty thoroughly. + You can earn/use 500 mile upgrades.

I Hit gold last year; and while I enjoyed it. I am so short this year (Work cut back a lot) that I will not make it I think. I am short 9k EQM after my trip later this month ...

7. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been Gold since 2009. Biggest Gold perks for me: free checked bags, selecting exit row and MCE seats (though that benefit goes away after Dec 31), priority boarding, ability to use Priority Access security lane, occasional upgrade on domestic flights.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. BajaninChicago

BajaninChicago New Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations in advance! I finally made it back to Gold this year after an absence of nearly five years. I missed it so much that as soon as I got back, I upgraded on a short ORD-PHL roundtrip...just because I could again! To go from your home base to the Int, and back the next day seems worth it to me. Just wait until you're able to avoid longer lines, take more bags when you need them, and upgrade when you can. You won't regret the effort, I'm sure.

9. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Golds won't be able to choose any economy seat at the end of the year?

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way to add an additional segment each way on your next trip? Say you are flying internationally out of ORD, perhaps connect in DFW before?

Another trip toward the end of the year would do it. You can do a pure segment run and lower your cpm, or treat yourself to a nice vacation and go somewhere that you have wanted to go.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'll still get preferred seats I think, but not MCE, which includes exit rows.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

12. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm...makes me think you may as well use those upgrades you can purchase at 30 a pop compared to paying for MCE next year.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use how? 500-milers don't get you MCE, and you need one 500-miler for every 500 mile block of your trip +1 for any leftover trip miles over 50, eg 551 miles takes two certs, $60 worth of upgrades.

14. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that, and since most of my flights are shorts hops to DFW or ORD, it is usually 1 apiece...most of the time the MCE price is the same, so *if* there is room (which there is to DFW or ORD, but not always from), it makes sense to go 1st rather than MCE...my question is since I am close to PLAT, would it be worth an MR compared to Gold? I am flying at least 6 times next year, once to ADD, once to LIH (with the wife), and a few short trips.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion, yes. Not just for access to MCE, but for an earned mile bonus of 100% compared to 25%, and for international lounge access at OW lounges as needed.

My worst case is that due to my recent injury I fall to PLAT next year. I'm hoping to avoid that, but need to figure out how.

16. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense to me, now to convince the wife...;)

When does your PT start? I just finished PT a couple of months ago for a torn labrum (90%, don't ask..), but not sure how they would proceed with your situation.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm being discharged home today after a 5 night stay. Follow up in two weeks for suture removal and X-rays. Non weight bearing 6 to 8. PT somewhere in there.

18. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it you end up doing a segment run and going through MCI, let me know and I can deliver BBQ of your choice!

FriendlySkies likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DFW-ORD is 802 mile, so 2 stickers per passenger. ;)

20. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have been more clear...MCI would be the starting destination to either DFW or ORD... I think they're both one sticker flights...