Needle found in sandwich served on Air Canada flight

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tcook052, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...found-in-sandwich-served-on-air-canada-flight

If you feared airplane food couldn’t get worse, a passenger on an Air Canada flight Monday evening from Victoria to Toronto found what appeared to be a sewing needle in a prepackaged sandwich, an airline spokesperson has confirmed.

“Safety is always our top priority so we are taking this matter very seriously,” Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick wrote in an email. “We immediately contacted the caterers that provision our flights, and a full investigation is under way.”

Fitzpatrick said the airline has had no other reports of similar incidents and will work closely with the police in their investigation. He declined to comment further while the investigation goes on.

YULtide and uggboy like this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    copycat saboteur like the Delta one earlier this month? Repugnant whoever did this! :mad:
    Gate Gourmet again?

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing! Here we go again!:mad:

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not thought we hear about such incidents so fast again! Makes me....:mad:.....too!

canucklehead likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2012/08/13/cameras-to-watch-over-workers-packing-airline-food

TORONTO - Extra security guards and cameras have been added to monitor caterers at Pearson Airport who prepare food for aircraft, following the discovery of a sewing needle in a sandwich on an Air Canada flight to Toronto.

Police and airline officials are hoping the precautions will prevent possible incidents of food tampering.

A needle was discovered in a sandwich on July 30 on an Air Canada flight that originated in Victoria, B.C.

There have been four incidents in the last two months of needles being discovered in sandwiches on Delta Air Lines flights which were catered by Gate Gourmet.

Toronto workers said the food assembly area of the Mississauga, Ont., company has recently been under heightened vigilance from managers and security officials. About 60 staffers, mostly females, work in the area, packing and preparing meals for air and rail passengers.

Police suspect a disgruntled employee may have planted the needle since the workers were in labour talks at the time.

A police inspector said Monday the investigation continues and no charges have been laid.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

LETTERBOY and tcook052 like this.
  6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Police suspect a disgruntled employee may have planted the needle since the workers were in labour talks at the time.

A police inspector said Monday the investigation continues and no charges have been laid.

I hope if the culprit is found charges are laid. :mad:

LETTERBOY, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with you - this is more than unacceptable TC!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1486422--rcmp-now-probing-how-needles-got-into-airpl
    ane-sandwiches

The RCMP has taken over the investigation into how a needle found its way into a sandwich on an Air Canada flight destined for Pearson International Airport from B.C. last month.

Peel Regional Police, who initially were investigating, confirmed this morning that the RCMP's Victoria detachment is now the lead authority in the case, as investigators believe the incident occurred there.

LETTERBOY, ACMM and YULtide like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting ongoing situation for sure. Funny how some folks seem to attribute this to airline staff. I would be shocked if any airline (AC) staff in any position had anything to do with this. That just makes no sense to me!

10. iang000

iang000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bring your own food for the flight.

ACMM likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always an option.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those 100 mL thermoses of soup are a real nuisance, though. :D

canucklehead and ACMM like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  14. iang000

iang000 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people eat solid food.

YULtide likes this.