Need your feedback: App that gives miles when you check-in

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by AppForMiles, Mar 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. AppForMiles

AppForMiles New Member

Status Points:
    We are making an app that gives you free miles whenever you check-in to indicate your location, and we hope to get your feedback! We aim to allow travelers to earn miles for air travel, car travel and even biking.

App preview - http://bit.ly/1B6x63y

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Topguest 2.0?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you don't want the bitly tracking, http://invis.io/EZ2CY2OFH. Or the signup via google docs: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SImwYGYRokvLQk8gph3M5gbijGX9gwZ4GymSK4s3JD0/viewform

Looks like a play on using location information to market goods & services at consumers. If the middle-man gets paid for initiating the transaction then the consumer then some of that gets kicked back down in the form of miles.

I'm generally not willing to part with that much personal data just to have more crap marketed at me, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are probably more in your group than you know. ie the silent majority.
    I'll part with my personal data almost as fast as my cash and I don't put my hand in my own pocket until I really have to.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this an iOS only roll-out?

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I readily go for such stuff anyhow, but asking for credit card info, age, income bracket? My info is worth more than a few miles.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might have missed it but the form asked for email (easy enough) and income bracket (well... pick the lowest)
    Did I miss out something? Do not see CC card info request.

I know that many earning methods that are widely available in the States are not available elsewhere.
    Totally understand the business logic decisions which is why when there are avenues opened to folks based out of the US, I will look harder then most I guess.
    What I do not buy in are those apps that ask for FF account logins :)

*I cannot participate in CC rewards (e.g. dining) programs, surveys etc. :oops:

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that I feel more strongly about this than you do. I'm reluctant to even give an email address unless I see some clear benefit.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I saw it someplace. Maybe it was the previous post where someone was talking about a new app! I think we had two of those type posts today.

Of course, like you, I totally get it -- they gotta make money and demographics are valuable. They just won't get mine and I'll lose out on a few miles. So be it.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many miles for what effort are we talking about? Need more info to even consider looking at this.

bigx0 likes this.
  11. htran88

htran88 Active Member

Status Points:
    the website for the preview isn't working, is this still in progress?