Need United SWUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidnew, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidnew

davidnew Member

Status Points:
    Hi Guys,
    My parents are going on an international trip on 5/7 and return on 8/15. They have booked economy with United (V class), but since they are reaching 70 soon, I'd like to upgrade them to business class.
    I wonder whether anyone has any extra SWUs. If so, please PM me so we can work something out!
    Thank you for your time!
    David

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try the Coupon Connection on TOBB (FlyerTalk) if you have access to that forum otherwise good luck in your search for the coveted GPUs. You might want to check if their flights also have Upgrade Space (R) available at this time.

Sweet Willie and davidnew like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    or they could just ask here on MilePoint w/o any need for having so many posts & being around for a period of time.
    as you can imagine, as a new member, there may be many who won't try to work a deal with you as you an unknown.

And of course I'm surprised we haven't seen the "batering upgrades instruments is not allowed per T&Cs" comment yet, so I'll throw that in to appease.

I wish you luck in your search.

Scottrick and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. davidnew

davidnew Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for recommending Coupon Connection on FlyerTalk. Unfortunately I don't have access to that ;-(
    And also thanks for reminding me to check the upgrade space - I'm waiting on the phone to check with an UA rep now ;-)

Flyer1976 and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint!

I suspect you'll have difficulties finding cheap/free SWUs... if any. From my perspective: too early in the year, too risky, ...

If you have sufficient miles, I would consider using those to upgrade your parents (*). I bought mine a TATL RT on UA in F using my miles and they haven't stopped talking about it. That was two years ago (just imagine if I had gotten them LH or Swiss seats). They had crossed the Atlantic many times in coach and never even considered that C or F was an option.

(*) and then hang around here and learn how to earn many more for future trips :)

davidnew and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How dare you! Putting them in United First :p. I wouldn't subject my parents to anything but Swiss & Lufthansa :D.

davidnew and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I had aimed straight for the top, I wouldn't have opportunity now to increase my score again for the next trip :)

davidnew and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is true... baby steps my friend... baby steps.

davidnew likes this.
  9. davidnew

davidnew Member

Status Points:
    My mistake - the UA rep on the phone with me told me that their booking code actually is "K" instead of "V", which for some reason I always think it is, and as a result I wouldn't be able to use SWU on this reservation. While I was on the phone with the rep, I decided to use my miles + co-pay for the upgrade. This reservation has now been upgraded successfully. This thread is now closed.

Thank you very much for all your replies. Have a nice day!

David

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to hear that this worked out to your satisfaction and I hope they enjoy United Business.

11. davidnew

davidnew Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I certainly hope so :)

Flyer1976 likes this.