Need Tokyo and Hong Kong Advice on Hotel and places to see

Discussion in 'Asia' started by daninstl, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to Hong Kong later this year with a 48 hour stop in Tokyo. We are flying ORD to NRT and have a full day in Tokyo then fly out of Haneda to HKG. We have about 5 days in NKG and then fly back to ORD via Seoul.

So I think I am going to book a hotel near NRT as we get in at 8:30pm then I'm thinking of a hotel either downtown or near HND. So far I've been looking into staying at the Radisson near NRT but not sure where else to book for the second night. I have a bunch of IHG points and some Radisson points but the hotels mostly seem decent priced so I am open to just paying outright. Also any must see spots would be great for a single day in Tokyo. In addition if we stay in the NRT area the first night what is the best transportation options? I assume the train to downtown is best.

In Hong Kong I'm looking to book at the Holiday Inn Express Soho as it seems cheap and good reviews but is there a better choice? Any downside to this hotel over another location? Also any must see sights would be great.

Kalboz, uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The train is good, so is the bus from Narita. Hard to see much in a single day in Tokyo, but for certain avoid the big red bus. It is poorly run. The fish market is great if you are there early enough, there are two towers that have a fantastic view of the city (one is called the Tokyo tower and resembles the Eiffel Tower). The Harajuku district is also quite interesting to see the young people in the Harujuku style clothing and the many stores there selling it. Odaiba is an interesting area to go to also.

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  3. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you'd like to do one day in Narita and one day in Tokyo, I'd suggest walking around Narita-town, and follow the street from the main train station to Narita-san temple. There are lots of shops and restaurants to stop in at, and Narita-san temple is big and interesting. Be sure to walk around narita-san park,which is a classic Japanese garden. You can take the train or skyliner to Tokyo that evening. In Tokyo, you'll need to pick a few things to focus on. Maybe Akasusa market, a big department store (don't forget the food hall in the basement), and Ginza at night? If you'll be there in the spring you might want to tour a park in Tokyo as well. If you're a big electronics (or maid-theme restaurant) fan you might want to go to Akihabar.

I would buy an Suica card and use it for the subways, since it makes things much easier. You can get a special package deal of Narita Express tickets plus a pre-loaded Octopus card if you show your foreign passport.

eponymous_coward and daninstl like this.
  4. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you have a bunch of IHG points, I'd suggest the ANA Intercontinental in Akasaka and I would encourage you to spend both nights there to maximize your time. Narita is interesting but splitting between Narita town and Tokyo is kind of like spending one night in Newark and the next in Manhattan IMHO.

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have more than two days, I'd suggest just staying in Tokyo. If you only have two days, I'd suggest flying in and out of NRT and staying nearby, doing Narita on one day, and Tokyo the other day, taking the train round trip that day (I've done this before, and it is great, especially since Narita-area hotels are so much cheaper than those in Tokyo). But, since you are flying into NRT and out of HND, you may as well split it.

daninstl and konoyaro like this.
  6. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, FWIW, the SUICA card is to the Tokyo area what the Octopus card is to HKG.

SUICA + N'EX is a great deal if you are going to use the Narita Express to get into Tokyo but the Narita Express portion of the deal is only recommended if your hotel is at or near one of the stations on it's route (Tokyo Station/Nihonbashi, Shinagawa, Shibuya & Shinjuku) or on a connecting JR train route.
    Once you settle on a hotel, look on a map and see where it is in relation to a JR station. If it's not at one of the stations listed above, or near a JR station, consider use the Limousine Bus instead. Although it's a little bit slower than the N'EX, it drops off at numerous hotels in the Tokyo area and can save you the stress of transferring trains or having to switch from train to cab to get to your hotel.

Kalboz and anabolism like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Suica plus Narita Express package is another reason why if you have only two days, staying in Narita makes so much sense: you can get a round-trip on the Narita Express plus a pre-loaded Suica card that has enough money to ride subways all day and still have money left over that you can spend at convenience stores and shops in Natita-town. And traveling the subways is much easier of you don't have any luggage (which you won't if you staying in Narita and just doing a day-trip to Tokyo).

Even if you are splitting your stay between Narita and Tokyo, the package is still a good deal since you get the Suica card pre-loaded.

If you will be there over a weekend, I'd suggest visiting Ginza on Sunday since they close the main street to vehicle traffic then.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you use the Friendly airport limo bus, you get one day free subway with a one way ticket between NRT and Tokyo and two free days of subway rides with the RT ticket just for asking for this package when you buy the ticket at NRT. If your hotel has service at times you need, this is the easiest way, although first class on NEX is more luxurious. There are also other suburban train lines that serve NRT, now with more express service, which work well for some neighborhoods if you don't have a lot of luggage, although this is more complicated for a first trip to Tokyo.

For HND, there's a monorail line and some subway or train service, plus the Friendly limo busses, although they're less frequent than the NRT routes. Be sure to check their website for schedules before booking a Tokyo hotel. However, taxi fares to HND from some parts of Tokyo are semi reasonable, which is much different from the situation with NRT.

anabolism likes this.
  9. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't split my nights. It's a hassle and you'd have to spend part of your precious free time on your free day having to get into Tokyo, dropping off your stuff before you do any sightseeing.

You are far better spending the hour or two getting into Tokyo the night you arrive and having the next day free for sightseeing. (Indeed you could sign up for a morning sightseeing tour)

By the way, 5 days in Hong Kong is a lot. It's not that big. I'd probably consider spending at least one night in Macau

Kalboz and daninstl like this.
  10. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    btw, for those of you who don't know, you can go up the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office building for FREE. It's higher than Tokyo tower with the same view of Tokyo.

11. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran into a couple of problems with N'EX last week.

First, the JR East Travel Service Center at NRT Terminal 1 had a line that went halfway across the concourse, so I abandoned the Suica + N'EX idea, and bought a N'EX return ticket at the ticket machine.

Second, I will swear that the ticket machine screen stated that the return portion was valid for 30 days - so I did not look at the return voucher that came out of the machine. Four days later, I went to Shinjuku station to get the return ticket itself, and found that the voucher was only valid for 2 days. The JR East agent made me buy a one-way for the return. At the N'EX desk in NRT I asked for a refund on the return voucher, which was refused as it was out of date.

Kalboz and daninstl like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points: