Need to find the best mile/point rebate offer for online shopping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jaw_24, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had this site live for about a month now (you may have seen my signature), but I think it's mature enough to call a stable beta and wanted to formally introduce the idea.

The Rebatepointer Database - www.rebatepointer.com

What is it?
    Rebatepointer is a search engine for several of the most popular mile, point, and cash back rebate/referral sites. Every day it is updated with the current mile/point/$ values for all retailers at each rebate site. This information is searchable via the home page.

What do you mean by rebates?
    Let's say you are going to buy something at Barnes & Noble online. Instead of going directly to barnesandnoble.com, you can first go to one of these rebate sites, find the respective click-through link for Barnes & Noble which takes you directly to B&N.com, and then shop like normal. After you purchase, you will receive the appropriate rebate. You can get miles/$, points/$, cash back (%), or even a fixed mile/point/cash back, depending on the retailer and rebate site.

How do you use it?
    Instead of mindlessly searching through every possible rebate site, just go to www.rebatepointer.com, type in 'Barnes & Noble' into the search box, and it will pull up the available rebate sites and values.

Search Results for "Barnes & Noble"

From this page, we find that you could earn 4 OnePass miles/$ or 4.8% cash back from BigCrumbs. In order to take advantage of one of these offers, click through the 'Rebate Site' link, find Barnes & Noble page on the rebate site, and then shop like normal. You may need to sign up for the points/cash back sites, and please do so through the referral link provided to support this site.

Which rebate sites are supported?
    Miles/FF programs
    AAdvantage eShopping
    Continental OnePass
    Delta Skymiles Shopping
    United Mileage Plus Shopping
    US Airways Skymall

Points programs
    Swagbucks (limited support)
    MyPoints.com
    WorldPoints

Cash back programs
    FatWallet
    BigCrumbs
    Shortcuts.com
    Ebates
    Mr. Rebates
    Upromise

What programs are not currently supported?
    AMEX Membership Rewards - I do not have access to the list of retailers, if someone knows of a publicly available link/list, let me know!

What if I want XX to be searchable?
    Send me a PM, or use the feedback box at the bottom of the home page, or send me a note via any of the listed social networks with the name of the program, and I'll work on adding it.

What future updates are planned?
    Add options for only returning miles, points, or cash back (or any combination) offers.
    Refine the search engine itself--still a little crude.

I found a problem/bug or have a suggestion!
    Again, contact me via any of the above listed methods. This is still a work in progress, so bear with me!

I have found this site extremely useful and have earned a lot of rebates through my normal everyday shopping. I am also updating the site's blog at www.rebatepointer.com/blog, where I keep track of the best deals and techniques to get the most bang for your shopping buck, including ways to maximize your retail, charity, and 'other' spending.

-jaw_24

rwoman and prometheusg like this.
  2. Paiteaw
    Original Member

Paiteaw Active Member

Status Points:
    looks like a useful search tool. Thanks.

3. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks useful for the Americans.

Do you have any plans of expanding it to other continent's FF programs?

slice19 likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    How would you say it compares to evreward.com which I've been using for years?

Thanks for your efforts!

5. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Help me with this. I do my shopping through the advantage mall of AA so would I go to your site first and then AA or after?

6. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish this site or another would offer info on Capital One's Perk Central...tied into the Venture account I just got! Perk Central seems to be offering the same vendors as say the AA or United MP shopping site. I have made a number of orders and am waiting to see how quickly the miles post. Hopefully better than AA and MP. I am getting so sick of Vespia, the company that runs both. I have orders from November I still haven't got my miles for! They are still "researching". I also have orders from January and February not shown up that they are researching.

PerkCentral said they would post in 30 days... just in time to be added to my "Match" for the Venture card.....

7. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I like evreward.com So, tell us what's new/better at your site! We like new & better!

8. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the feedback, I will take a look at some of the other credit card rewards programs and programs from other countries (maybe Quidco to start), as those programs are missing elsewhere.

Honestly, I was not aware of ev'reward when this site was developed--it started as a side project with blog to help people learn how to find and use the rebates available from these programs. I have a couple of ideas to expand the search engine beyond what either site does, but that will take some development time. Obviously this site is behind on the maturity/design/features aspect. Who knows, maybe the content from the blog alone is enough to help out in finding where the double/triple/more dipping deals are. I have posted quite a few deals which end up being free or better after rebates. Most of these aren't secrets and some were listed on FT/MP, just often forgotten or missed.

5 Blockbuster Express Rentals for ~$0.22
    2011 Entertainment Book as low as $6.80
    $7 for $10 Starbucks eGift Card
    $7.05 rebate on any iTunes purchase
    Cash back rebates on cell phone plans
    Using gift cards to earn more rebates
    $2.75 Movie Tickets from Fandango
    3 Redbox Rentals for $0.11

As this is still in the early stages, I am flexible to add new applications and sites--I guess that's why I am posting here to see if there are any FF specific requests that could be filled.

9. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds interesting and useful. I am a regular online frugal shopper and mostly use cash back portals like FatWallet, ShopAtHome, AAfter Search and Ebates.

10. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    rewardsdb.com is another site along those same lines...