Need to cancel award ticket without paying $150

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by finite7777, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. finite7777

finite7777 Member

Status Points:
    I received a flight time change notification on an award ticket and called in trying to use the change as my reason to cancel, thinking they would waive the $150 fee. Escalated to supervisor but was told "4 hour minimum" time change required for waiving fee.
    Let me start by saying it was only a 5 minute change, so I know its a rather weak leg to stand on.
    Is there really a 4 hour rule, or is it a Continental urban legend? If it is a rule, please copy/paste or link. And any other ideas how to cancel the ticket without incurring the fee?

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd give it a couple of more calls and you might get lucky...rule #1, if you don't like the answer, politely hang up and call back again.

alohastephen and rwoman like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about CO, but UA certainly has/had a rule (it was/is 90 mins or 2 hrs, I think).

And let's be fair, a five minute change isn't a reasonable justification. I doubt you will have success by calling back many times.

When is your flight? Maybe you are lucky and the flight changes again... and more substantially... between now and departure date. Obviously (unless you need the miles) there is no reason to cancel early.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be surprised if you get someone to cancel a trip for free due to a 5 minute change. Seems rather unlikely.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO is very good at documenting these kind of calls so like Wandering Aramean mentions I highly doubt it as well... Good Luck regardless...

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that is not a justifiable reason to get the trip canceled for free and that you probably won't get them to cancel it for you for free, but isn't this situation the definition of YMMV? The only guaranteed no is if you give up, cancel, and pay the fee.

alohastephen, Chimpy and rwoman like this.
  7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    a somewhat related question: Is there a set period of time beyond when an itinerary change is made that one could use it as justification for canceling an award ticket? i.e. they announce the change, but then I don't decide to try to return award tix for a month or more, but want the restocking fee waived?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, if you haven't accepted the schedule change then you are still able to take advantage of the change.

9. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with what others have said here. Unless the schedule change is 2+ hours or more, it's unlikely that the ticket can be cancelled without penalty. Personally, I'd wait it out to see if more changes occur that might get you a free cancellation.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does CO have an auto-accept feature? I could swear some minor changes on UA in the past auto-confirmed themselves when I didn't get around to calling in.

JohnDeere19 likes this.